1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Re-Opening?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by jimm287, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Endeavour1

Endeavour1 New commenter

On Mumsnet they are scrambling for schools to re-open asap and for summer holidays to be cancelled. Honestly students are tired enough with the autumn term letting alone sticking another six weeks on top in hot and stuffy classrooms. Most schools squeeze pupils into classrooms and with the narrow corridors and stairs so it will be a social distancing nightmare.

strawbs and agathamorse like this.
  2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Well a few are...most are replying with it is a total nonsense.

DaisysLot and -Maximilian- like this.
  3. Endeavour1

Endeavour1 New commenter

hmmh some want us all furloughed, some want us sacked, lots of advice on how we 'should' teach...... I don't think it is a chat room that supports teacher well being

WB likes this.
  4. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

They probably don't realise that furloughed staff are not allowed, under any circumstances, to do any of the work they normally do - so that would include any contact with pupils, parents or even the school itself.

5. SteveWoodhouse

SteveWoodhouse Occasional commenter

When this started, in the couple of weeks leading up to us closing, I had staff h as I g discussions saying we might be closing at Easter for an extra week, others replying but to be daft and we wouldn’t be closing at all.

At the time I noted what was happening elsewhere, that we wouldn’t make it to Easter, and that might be it until September.

Now, I’m not so sure.

Maybe September for a complete reopening. But I’m starting to think we might have something more limited between now and the end of term.

I’d be surprised if there wasn’t something at Spring Bank. But it all depends on how the stats go.

6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

:D:D:D
    Not it's a forum for mothers with too much time on their hands who are suddenly realising that all that the daily nanny, the school teacher, then cleaner, the gardener, etc do is actually blinkin hard work!
    They want to get back as soon as possibly to weekly hairdressing appointments and daily gym sessions with their dishy PT!

Edited to add that clearly some on there are a bit sick of the nonsense speculation as well.
    https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/coronavirus/3880759-No-one-knows-when-the-schools-are-going-back?pg=1

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
    WB, DaisysLot, Angelina219 and 3 others like this.
  7. SteveWoodhouse

SteveWoodhouse Occasional commenter

We may not agree on some matters, but oh boy ain’t THAT the truth!

WB, maggie m and agathamorse like this.
  8. FEZ6

FEZ6 New commenter

If we do re-open after May half-term or September it is going to be strange to get back to how school was - how do we approach this?

Have there been any articles suggestion ways to ease back into school life?

I am concerned about the well-being and it's not going to be easy.

strawbs and -Maximilian- like this.
  9. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Again why I feel teachers have let a golden opportunity go by. If they had worked with the government on a phased return there is a chance (admitted small) that conditions for teachers could have been changed for the better - if not just with going back and smaller class sizes, staggered starts, shorter hours etc for a few months, then maybe even permanently.

With influence they could well have argued for the date for this to happen, too.

Who knows?

What we do know is if teachers continue to be very defensive and forever saying the computer says no, it is very likely the government will just send the profession back with no discussion, no real protective measures, no help, no assistance and no chance of better conditions during the next decade of austerity, used and abused to pay back the financial bail out.

10. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

You might be right dumpty. Or the golden opportunity might be to open up the whole argument about teacher pay and conditions and for an all out strike until state education is properly funded and OFSTED removed.

idlp56, Angelina219 and -Maximilian- like this.
  11. SingToAng

SingToAng New commenter

Sunday Times is saying three weeks.......

12. RaggyBull

RaggyBull New commenter

When he returns, Johnson will be given three dates for schools reopening: May 11, June 1 or the start of September.

This is what The Sunday Times states. I feel all the papers are just making it up at this point.

13. drvs

drvs Star commenter

You seem to be overlooking the key driver behind the rush to reopen schools - it isn't for the education of children, it's for the provision of childcare to enable families to get back to work.

14. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Which is why the Unions need to start planning to ballot members for strikes over conditions.

Angelina219 likes this.
  15. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Part of the problem here is the pluralisation of "Union" - one of the key reasons behind the poor representation and lack of power of the teaching work force is the multi-union representation. It's a weak model.

Morninglover likes this.
  16. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Quite the opposite, this is the very point I try to make to all my teacher friends and colleagues. When more teachers accept this, they will realise it is better to work with the government for change, rather than think they can or will be allowed to call the shots and make decisions.

Is an idea but I cannot see a group of unions which have overseen the almost total destruction of the profession be very good when ordered to send its members back to work.

To be fair, I am not that confident it would win.

17. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

My guess is this has been leaked by the more hawkish cabinet members with the intention of gauging public response to it. (As it seems too structured to be made up)

Pretty standard practice but Gove (considered a dove) has said no to it already, meaning there are still divisions in the cabinet.

agathamorse likes this.
  18. drvs

drvs Star commenter

I'm curious to know how it is you think that teachers have missed an opportunity to make a change to conditions when you acknowledge that the unions who represent our interests are toothless.

You also acknowledge the government's interest in reopening schools is unrelated to educational values or working conditions - what makes you think that there was ever a "golden opportunity" to be missed by "teachers".

Your early post has a whiff of unfounded teacher-bashing about it.

19. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Star commenter

Striking now would be massively counter productive.

I suspect if we did that there would be something similar to the 8pm Thursday clap but for teachers it would be considerably more direct and less pleasant.

To win a strike you need a certain amount of public support, you really, really would not get that by striking now.

peter12171, bessiesmith2 and Sally006 like this.
  20. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Do as I do - contact your MP. Argue with the union that they too could work on better conditions on return rather than (as it appears) just saying no. (I have and am trying)

I did indeed say it won't be easy and it could end up fruitless but you/we have to try.

Teacher union bashing, sure. With teachers I just feel quite a few do not want to work on a bigger picture and I fear they will come out of this worse off.

drvs likes this.