1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Re-Opening?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by jimm287, Mar 27, 2020.

1. jimm287

jimm287 New commenter

Hi everyone.

I have looked for a thread on this but couldn't seem to find one. So..........

What are people's thoughts about when we might re-open? Personally I think we might get back for a few weeks in July but that might be about it.

Best wishes and Stay safe

x

FormosaRed likes this.
  2. num3bers

num3bers Occasional commenter

I was thinking maybe after May half term. ( end of May /beginning of June).

3. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

I think September/october

Stiltskin, FormosaRed, citct and 4 others like this.
  4. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

My guess - earliest, a few weeks before the start of the summer break - latest, a few weeks after the end.

But to throw something else in the mix, will be return then break again for a second wave?

Catgirl1964 likes this.
  5. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Other countries that locked down before us seem to be extending their quarantine periods.
    From a social point of view, it would be good if schools can reopen before the summer, from a germ spreading point of view, I have no idea.
    We decided, reluctantly, to move on line with our small centre for vulnerable kids after the Monday announcement. A few of them are struggling a lot with the collapse of their little worlds. We want to restart after Easter. Whether we will is another matter.

6. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

It's all guesswork now, but (if I were still in SLT) I would be hoping and planning for an early return (say June) and also for a later one (say September). No-one can say with authority which is more likely at the moment.

strawbs likes this.
  7. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Has anyone considered that the summer holidays might be cancelled so we can 'catch up'. After all we've had lots of suggestions in the past the the summer hols are too long ...

agathamorse likes this.
  8. Morninglover

It would have to be 100% or not all, otherwise families with school age children might struggle if the teacher parent has to go into school and their children's school doesn't open.

Also those people with holidays (domestic or abroad) booked for August will be expected to honour the booking if things are back to business: would schools pay compensation for the lost money? I doubt it.

Catgirl1964 and agathamorse like this.
  9. a1976

a1976 Established commenter

But these aren't normal times. Given how everything has been disrupted over the last two weeks, it would not be surprising at all and probably necessary that the summer holidays be cancelled for this year. You take a risk when you book holidays. The taxpayers at large may also press their MPs to use the summer hols as at time to catch up.

10. jimm287

jimm287 New commenter

Personally I think to be on the safe side of things it will have to be September. France for example locked down earlier than us and have just extended their lockdown. The gov. Will also want to protect against a second wave so won't want us back too early. If exams are cancelled that to me says early July at the earliest is when we go back.

As for summer being cancelled I can't see it. Remember than currently we are working from home. We aren't "off", simply working from a different place. Summer hols will happen. Also, consider that we are asked to stay open and work over Easter, setting remote learning etc. Technically schools will owe their staff 2 weeks off as Easter hols wouldn't have happened.

11. Morninglover

No. If I booked a holiday knowing when my school holidays were I wouldn't be prepared to say to my boss: 'It only cost £3K which I can't get back, of course I'll come into work for those two weeks' or whatever.

I might be prepared to work round it (depending on other issues like childcare and, crucially, how good the HT and SLT had been to me - if I felt they'd always treated me fairly I'd be more likely to co-operate, and vice-versa). But unless the Government cancels all holidays and guarantees full refunds/credit notes to allow one to re-book the holiday - forget it.

12. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Teachers are not 'on holiday' at the moment. They are setting work, looking after pupils of key bworkers in schools and looking after their own families and loved ones. If things go back to 'normal' in say June there will be no obligation (either contractually nor morally) to work during the normal July/August break.

It matters not what taxpayers or the public think on this. Teachers have spent far too much time over the years worrying what the public think.

How would the children respond? A term lasting from July to December would not be of benefit to them as they would burn out as well as the teachers.

It has to be accepted that due to the current crisis many things are just going to have to be written off.

13. Catgirl1964

Catgirl1964 Occasional commenter

You have mirrored my thoughts exactly, Compassman. I think a return in September at the earliest to be sure that the virus has been eradicated. If there is any doubt that this is the case, we risk another escalation if schools return.
    The summer holidays must be honoured as school staff are still working during the shutdown, some as hard if not harder than if schools were open. We are all entitled to a normal summer holiday break after giving us best then upping our game in this crisis. Many, myself included, have booked and paid for holidays in July or August.

14. MadHatter76

MadHatter76 New commenter

Booked holiday issues aside, not sure how to handle that, I did wonder if they might bring the summer holidays forward 6 weeks, so you wouldn't be 'working' Jun/July - they could then reopen end of July or beginning of August.

The prospect of a second wave complicates things and the gov has mentioned having periods of strict and less strict distancing - if schools don't return until sept and then have to close again in say November for another few months, the extra few weeks in August would have been a big help. Obviously all dependent on the progress of the virus.

15. Catgirl1964

Catgirl1964 Occasional commenter

If schools are permitted to reopen end July/August then presumably booked holidays will also be happening so there is no way there will be enough staff and students to make it worthwhile being in school at that time. It would become a logistical nightmare. School summer holidays will go ahead at the usual time except maybe for key workers’ children.

agathamorse and -Maximilian- like this.
  16. DrJay

DrJay Occasional commenter

I am still delivering my lessons through Google hangouts, marking and providing feedbacks. We still hold daily staff briefing at 10am Mon-Fri. Open book assessment starts this Monday. Students submit their work by sharing it via Google docs. We’re not on holidays.

17. RaggyBull

RaggyBull New commenter

I’d like to be wrong but I’d just forget about reopening any time soon. Certainly not before September but possibly even January onwards.

No government has a plan once the lockdown is relaxed. Sorry to be morbid!

phlogiston and Catgirl1964 like this.
  18. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

I reckon all borders will remain closed until a vaccine is available and that will be 18 months.

My best guess is a September restart.

Angelina219 and phlogiston like this.
  19. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

This is also true for me. It is a strange way of working but is the only thing (apart from ringing my mother) that really keeps me rooted in the outside world (and aware of the passage of time).
    It is very easy to sit reading, listening to music or watching TV and not do much.
    The bit of me that loves life (including my job) wants to get back to reality even if it is a bit of a treadmill at times. I am finding it difficult to see anything much before September though.

agathamorse and Catgirl1964 like this.
  20. Grandsire

Grandsire Star commenter

Government seems to be saying six months now, according to the BBC. So back in for September at the earliest (unless they decide to sacrifice school staff in exchange for keeping the economy going...).

However, I wouldn’t be surprised if a second wave hits this coming winter, replacing or even adding to the usual seasonal flu. The 1918 autumn wave was far more deadly than the spring. Some countries experienced a third wave the following year, too.