1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

RE: NQT induction

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Sparkles2010, Apr 13, 2012.

1. I left teaching in 2004 during induction. I completed the first two terms but did not meet the standards in term 2. I passed term one. I left the school in hope to complete the final term elsewhere - but I never did return to teaching. I just wondered, if I was to go and work as a Teaching Assistant - would that be OK? If so does the rule still apply that I can only do this for so long before my induction would have to start again? I think I would like to complete induction at some point but wanted to get back into education first to help make up my mind. I thought being a teaching assistant may help and allow me to refresh myself, please can you advise, thank you

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

The induction arrangements only apply to teaching posts so work as a TA does not count. The Govt. are in the process of changing induction to introduce a flat 5 year temporary (non induction) supply work from gaining QTS this should be in place from this September. You need to be cautious about working as a TA some Heads would view it that you could not hack teaching. Supply work would at least keep you in a teaching role.

3. You have completed two terms of induction and so only have one term left to complete. There is no pass or fail of term 1 and 2 only completed time. As noted above, work as a TA does not copunt towards induction, you must be employed as a teacher. The Induction guidance is changing in September this year (see my post on new induction guidance foir a link to the draft guidance). There is no time limit for starting or completing induction, so by easing yourself back in as a TA you can then hopefully obtain a post as a teacher and complete your final term.
    The Sage