1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

RE not in EBacc for 2011/12 - official

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by andrew61Isaiah, Jul 20, 2011.

1. see the following link : http://www.retoday.org.uk/news
    terrible news - Steve, it seems you were wrong about the DfE waiting for the Education Select Committee before they made a statement. I feel the excellent campaign by NATRE and all the other things people have done have been treated in a shoddy way by an elusive government.

2. see the following link : http://www.retoday.org.uk/news
    terrible news - Steve, it seems you were wrong about the DfE waiting for the Education Select Committee before they made a statement. I feel the excellent campaign by NATRE and all the other things people have done have been treated in a shoddy way by an elusive government.

3. SteveWoodhouse

SteveWoodhouse New commenter

Cheers Andrew - that's bad news.
    The only *** of lght is the formula of words: "...the Secretary of State <u>is minded to</u> leave the subjects unchanged...". What I would say is that there's a lot of time between now and January. Last year the memo of intent went out at about this time, but was ammended in December to include the EBac, so any potential changes can still happen between now and then.
    The ESC report is late, but it will be published sometime soon after the Summer recess and the government is duty bound to respond - usually within 60 days, if I remember rightly. If the report raises issues, and the government's own survey shows a drop in numbers for other subjects (dobn't know if that will have been compiled and completed yet) then they can still ammend the tables.
    But it doesn't look good for now.
    Very selfishly, it doesn't impact on me personally. The introduction of the EBac this year led to more pupils taking RS at our school - something I'm sure is just a statistical anomoly - but I'm pretty sure I'll have enough to run a class. If numbers drop elsewhere then the DfE might act.
    Keep up the campaign everyone.
    One thing I'm 100% sure of - come back in 10 years time and there'll either be no EBac or a very different EBac. This isn't the end, just the beginning.
    Steve W

4. I like your optimism, Steve. I have just received a press release email. The Education select Committee will report on 27.7.11 and copies will be available from 28.7.11 on their website.

5. SteveWoodhouse

SteveWoodhouse New commenter

Aye, I'm usually a pretty optimistic bloke. Maybe grasping at straws, maybe not, but I'm not sure this is completely without hope.
    Firstly there's the wording. Goved is 'minded to' keep the subjects the same. That's a very odd choice of words ('minded' means 'inclined'). Not 'pursuaded' or 'have decided to' but 'am minded to'. It just appears to be a phrase which leaves him wriggle room.
    Secondly, I suspect the memo went out yesterday as the protocol is for it to go out before either the end of the parliamentary session, or the end of the school year, or the start of the next school year. In other words they left it as long as possible. In that case, it's probably because they were waiting for the ESC report. If that's the case, then it's because Gove doesn't want to look like he's not listening. Presuming the ESC report says the EBac should change (and I'm pretty sure it will), Gove can make himself look all caring and listening by taking on board their recommendations.
    Finally, as I've said, the EBac will change at some point. Whether that's under Gove, or after the next re-shuffle, or after the next election remains to be seen. But league tables have never stood still in the past, and I don't see them doing so in the future.
    I await the ESC's report with great interest - thanks for the heads up.
    Steve W