1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Re-location after Retirement?

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by thejudgesscoresarein, Aug 29, 2019.

1. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

Hi all,
    Although I originally planned to retire in December 2020 just after my 60th Birthday, I have made the decision over the last couple of weeks to retire in August 2020 when I will still be 59.
    Currently based in the Midlands, I’m planning to re-locate down to the South West (Devon/ Cornwall)- and was just wondering if anyone else has done this (relocation) and any tips?
    I plan to meet with the CoG and inform them of my intentions to retire in the coming weeks, and I plan to put my house up for sale in April/May 2020 with views to move after the summer holiday rush (would be a nightmare)

2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Oh yes! We didn't go straight away but after three years we decided we weren't seeing enough of the grandchildren. I'd have gone sooner but it took husband a while to make up his mind. It was easy for us because we were moving back to a place we had lived before and knew we liked. We have made better friends than we've ever had and have a better social life than ever too. And we see the family more too of course.
    We moved from the NW to Warwickshire which as a Brummie, felt like coming home. Our town is full of people our age and there is loads to get involved in. We are involved in Lions Club, choirs, a walking group and U3A. Husband plays golf and croquet. We went to world class theatre last night ( give you three guesses!) We were lucky to find a house within easy walking distance of the town which is important to us - we walk everywhere and bump into people. We also knew we wanted a good sized garden and didn't want a project but are happy to update the house bit by bit.
    As for the timing - you are at the mercy of the market - it took us 14months! be prepared to compromise - we had to sell for less than we hoped and buy for more but it was the right decision.
    Our area is full of people who haven't always lived here for generations. We're all incomers and it makes for a friendly community.
    So, what do you want?

3. jonnymarr

jonnymarr New commenter

I remember a thread on this topic in the Guardian newspaper. The article suggested 'proximity to family members, especially the grandchildren' was a key consideration when deciding if you should relocate in retirement.
    Underneath, in the comments section, someone had written, 'I love the ambiguity of that statement'.

catmother and lindenlea like this.
  4. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

Ive often thought about moving when I retire but I don't really know where I would go. I have friends here and it takes time to make new friends. Maybe it would be nice to explore new places and live in a prettier place or a quieter place but I'm not sure that it is worth the loss of friends. My thoughts are now that I might rent my house out for a year and then go and rent a house somewhere else and then come back. My other thought is to downsize in the same area I'm already in to something small which doesn't need much upkeep and then just go off when I fancy it.

tall tales likes this.
  5. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

@bedlam. We had lived in NW for 30 years but I had always wanted to come back to the Midlands and I realise that I never really felt at home up there so it's certainly not something to do lightly. If you're happy where you are, save your money and have plenty of holidays. Retirement, compared with full time work, is like living in a different country anyway

Bedlam3 and eljefeb90 like this.
  6. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

We moved back to the SE (where I come from originally) before I retired (I was working away from home weekly anyway), and then after a few years of retirement downsized, which has meant moving about 12 or so miles along the coast.

For the OP, we have friends who moved to Cornwall some years ago, but told us that, despite the natural beauty, they found it very difficult to integrate as the locals always, even after 6 or 7 years, regarded them as outsiders. Maybe renting a place for a year first and seeing how you like it might be prudent?

7. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

Blimey! A couple of major life changes one after the other. It seems like a lot to get your head around . You need your social networks and some measure of familiarity when you retire. Upping sticks straight away seems a bit precipitate. The move should be your first project when you retire in my humble opinion. You will have the time to visit and 'test drive ' various areas.

8. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

We sort of did in the sense that we decided to move then me GW decided to retire, but I'm still working so we had to link finding work with finding our forever retirement home. We did rent a while but didn't move to where we rented. We ended up in Wiltshire because property was a bit cheaper. No regrets, no plans to move, like it here.
    One thing that has made a big difference is joining in activities at our local village hall, joining choir and quiz team. Works for us. Strangely we moved away from family !!!! Now some are wanting to follow us.

emerald52 likes this.
  9. stunica

stunica New commenter

10. stunica

stunica New commenter

After taking early retirement and therefore having lots more time and freedom, an Edwardian townhouse near York, while lovely, didn't offer enough immediate opportunities for outdoor pleasures: too much traffic, noise and other people. Cutting a long story short, we returned to an area we loved visiting and, by chance, saw and fell in love with a beautiful listed Galloway cottage in small village with two adjacent lovely little towns. So, it has been an upheaval but so worthwhile to be able to walk by the sea, wander in te hills or through forests within minutes of leaving the house. We also have a wonderful garden with veggie patch which is a joy. Also finding it easy to make new friends through walking, crafting, sport and music making. The previous house was handy for work...the new one is built for enjoying a full life of leisure. Life is so much better without the trials of urban life and, with Scotland's two major cities to dip into - it all seems to make perfect sense.

Welliebobs and lindenlea like this.
  11. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

I, kind of, relocated for retirement. I was working overseas and, about 2 years prior to retiring, sold my UK house in the NW and bought a house back in Birmingham (Bournville in fact) where I was brought up and went to school. It was very much, and still is, a true homecoming. I haven't regretted it one bit and only wish I had done it sooner.

I would offer the following advice:
    • Try to move somewhere that you feel that you have some kind of connection with eg where you were brought up, somewhere you have visited and stayed at regularly, somewhere near to friends or relative
    • Don't just move somewhere because 'it's lovely'. As another posted suggested, many rural, pretty areas have close knit, established communities and it can be difficult to become a part of these. It can also be surprisingly boring and lonely in these places unless you are disciplined in getting out and mixing.
    • Perhaps consider a number of areas and visit/stay in these during your first year of retirement, before making a final decision. I did this for 6 very different places which I was considering - Macclesfield, Chester, Devon, Somerset, Worcester and Birmingham. It took me about 2 years of visiting/assessing (partly because I could only visit them when I was home from overseas), before I made a final decision.
    • Perhaps, once you have made your decision, do a longer stay - maybe a month - in the area you decide upon, just to doubly ensure you are doing the right thing.
    • Talk to friends and relatives to get their viewpoints.
    Regarding doing retirement and moving at the same/similar times, only you will know how adaptable and resilient you are in doing this.

Good Luck - I would be genuinely interested in hearing your updates!