1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Re-join the state sector?

Discussion in 'Independent' started by thekillers1, Sep 20, 2019.

1. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

I've joined a new independent prep school this academic year with a promise of a working life balance. This is starting to feel this may have been an error. Could I rejoin the state sector? Does anyone felt like this?

2. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Yes you can. Is it your directed time that is concerning you, or the work you're choosing to do in your own time?

Either way, you're 3 weeks into a huge professional, social and cultural adjustment - give it time. Even very experienced teachers have to work hard for the first year or two when they change school.

3. thekillers1

Thanks mate. Totally correct with this statement.

drvs likes this.
  4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

But from your other thread, you've been off for a week on paternity leave!
    Judging workload on the first two weeks of term in September in a new job is hardly sensible.

Having said that, no idea who told you that your work life balance would be better in an indie.
    It's an easier job for sure.
    The holidays are longer.
    The professional respect and autonomy tends to be better.

But schools still want their pound of flesh in term time.
    Tends to be a nicer set of tasks to do though.

Yes, of course you can go back...but think what made you move before you do so.
    I'd not go back for all the tea in China...at least not in England.

5. thekillers1

In comparison to where I was, I've been allowed to leave promptly unless there's a meeting or something else after school and take my work home. Also there has been more trust in my abilities even though there are planned monitoring activities such as a learning walks and informal work scrutinises. Work place politics? Nonexistent! I feel that the school is getting their money worth and the travel is more than usual. Yet they offered a better pay rate or pay rise and class numbers are way lower than what I'd experienced. I suppose it's adapting to a different way of life as a teacher. So far, things have been fine. Just returning from leave is my worry as I've been out of the loop for a bit...!

6. drvs

drvs Star commenter

New job and new baby all in the same month? Wow, that's a lot to deal with! Not a time to be making decisions - head down and power through, take stock before Easter. Good luck.

7. thekillers1

That had been unhelpful. Thank you

8. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

New routines, new systems, new schemes of work, new exam specifications (for senior school entrance exams it really is a case of "guess what the Head of English is thinking") - it is tough.

It will be much easier this time next year.

9. thekillers1

Thanks for this. Are you in an independent school? Could I privately message back?

10. tonbridge87

tonbridge87 New commenter

We have a fair number of staff from state school come to our senior school. I did a talk on staff well being a term or so ago and in the feedback one who just moved from state to our school said that it wasn't easier, just very different. I've never worked in the state system though so can't comment from experience but most colleagues who move from state to independent rarely go back unless it's for advancement at a prestigious state school.
    As Caterpiller to Butterfly says, these schools do want their pound of flesh from you and certainly in mine, it's a case of 'what else are you offering' with Saturday sports fixtures, D of E, Outward Activities, clubs etc etc.
    As most mention, give it some time as you are in very steep learning curve with a new baby and job.

11. thekillers1

After the passive aggressive ******** I've experienced, it's tempting to **** off back to the state sector.

12. tonbridge87

tonbridge87 New commenter

Sorry to hear that, please DM me if you'd like a chat. Taught over 35 years in this system so know the ins and outs of it.

thekillers1 likes this.
  13. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Parents or staff?

You should read back over your posts from when you were working in the state sector whenever you find yourself thinking that the grass was greener there.