1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

re: Jobs in Tanzania

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by kzahabi53, Oct 16, 2015.

1. kzahabi53

kzahabi53 New commenter

Hi TheoGriff

I am from England and have recently studied Psychology and a PGCE (14+) and I am now currently living in Tanzania. I am looking for Psychology/Sociology teaching job opportunities here however, I am not getting what I want.

What do you think I should do? Start with something small in a primary school i.e. a teaching assistant and work my way up or be patient and wait a month or so?

2. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Hi,

Bit of a problem as psychology is a very niche subject. I did know of a psychology graduate who became a Science teacher, but she had to work extremely hard to show she had good knowledge.

First - have you got a Visa that allows you to work?

You can't start as a TA in a primary and "work your way up" - they are two completely different systems. As for being patient - there are either vacancies or there are not.

It would help if you gave a bit more context - how long are you in Tanzania for?

3. kzahabi53

kzahabi53 New commenter

Schools offer a work permit to work in Tanzania. Also, I am now living in Tanzania for good.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo there @kzahabi53 .

I suggest that you ask this question on the Teaching Overseas forum, where they are more likely to have recent experience of this.

Best wishes

5. mcbuk

mcbuk New commenter

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2016