1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

RE is not compulsory in my school - what can I do?

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by louise28k, Jan 5, 2011.

1. louise28k

louise28k New commenter

Title says it all really; I have just joined a new school where the compulsory element of RE is not met. I teach humanities (integrated to ks3 and nothing to ks4) but RE is only offered as an option at ks4 only and about 12 kids take that up.
    I am new to the school and clearly don't want to rock the boat as a newcomer (or make my life difficult!) but it makes me really angry that schools choose to ignore the fact that RE is compulsory.
    Who can I talk to about this? should it be something I speak to the head or SLT about? should I go to SACRE? or is it a case of waiting for Ofsted to turn up and hopefully pick up on this?

Thanks,
    Lou x

2. louise28k

louise28k New commenter

Title says it all really; I have just joined a new school where the compulsory element of RE is not met. I teach humanities (integrated to ks3 and nothing to ks4) but RE is only offered as an option at ks4 only and about 12 kids take that up.
    I am new to the school and clearly don't want to rock the boat as a newcomer (or make my life difficult!) but it makes me really angry that schools choose to ignore the fact that RE is compulsory.
    Who can I talk to about this? should it be something I speak to the head or SLT about? should I go to SACRE? or is it a case of waiting for Ofsted to turn up and hopefully pick up on this?

Thanks,
    Lou x