1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

(re)installing Windows Media Player

Discussion in 'Personal' started by margie2, Sep 29, 2018.

1. margie2

margie2 New commenter

[just posted this in the IT forum but as it appears to be a little quiet I thought I'd better post my question here too :) ]

My PC is about 6 years old and working fine but I've just tried to play a DVD on it and it won't, with this message appearing:

The file wmploc.dll has a version number of 12.0.7601.18840 where 12.0.7601.23930 was expected.

Windows Media Player is not installed properly and must be reinstalled.

Do you want to install the Player from the Microsoft Web site?

I must have had WMP as up to recently I was able to watch DVDs on my PC. (I last watched a DVD on it 3 months ago and it was working fine)

I've followed the link from the question (Do you want to install the Player from the Microsoft Web site?) but was unable to see how to install WMP.

So my question is: how do you easily (re)install WMP please? (I'm not very techie so the easiest method is best). Your help would be greatly appreciated on this one, thank you :)

2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

3. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Once you get your p c working you want to download the free media player 'VLC'. It will literally play anything and the controls are far superior to Windows media player plus it doesn't try to send the information to the library and thus creating further unnecessary files.

VLC media player. It's brilliant and it's free!

4. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

What Jude said.

margie2 likes this.
  5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

VLC is what I use. It's excellent and is widely recommended by computer magazines and blogs. It's free and doesn't try to install unwanted ads or plugins when you download it. Don't bother with WMP.

https://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
    margie2 likes this.
  6. aypi

aypi Senior commenter

vlc

margie2 likes this.
  7. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

VLC is what I use. I had problems with version 3 and beyond though, so went back to 2.2.8 I think it was. Perhaps these problems have been fixed now though - haven't checked recently.

Don't think I ever used Windows Media Player. The only time I'm aware of it is when some stupid error message comes up (as you had, OP). Just use VLC for all things video, and I think you'd be alright.

margie2 likes this.
  8. colpee

colpee Star commenter

I quite liked VLC for videos but not for music as it insisted on using incorrect album art. I use Music Bee now.

margie2 likes this.
  9. margie2

margie2 New commenter

Thanks everybody for the links, advice and recommendations, much appreciated, I'll download VLC later today.