1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

RE in a catholic school, with nursery?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by GemsEYFS, Feb 22, 2011.

1. GemsEYFS

GemsEYFS New commenter

Hi,
    I work with Nursery in a catholic school. However, we do not have a copy of any RE scheme that we currently use, i am told it is being updated. But, i am unsure of what is happening in the catholic/ religious calendar at the moment.
    Can any one inform me of what your plans are as regards RE for eyfs?
    Thank you

2. GemsEYFS

GemsEYFS New commenter

Hi,
    I work with Nursery in a catholic school. However, we do not have a copy of any RE scheme that we currently use, i am told it is being updated. But, i am unsure of what is happening in the catholic/ religious calendar at the moment.
    Can any one inform me of what your plans are as regards RE for eyfs?
    Thank you

3. We use "The Way, the truth adn the light". It is very early years friendly. I recommend it.

4. At the moment it is Sundays in Ordinary time, so the liturgical colour is green. Shrove Tuesday is on 8th March, you can talk about preparing for Lent, by thinking about Lenten promises. On Ash Wednesday (9th March) we are into Lent and the focus is saying sorry and making promises. I was in nursery in a Catholic school last year. I introduced a very simple sorry prayer, and we talked about why and how we say sorry, using puppets and circle time. We made up simple Lenten promises, and some children wrote them down and illustrated them. We folded them up and put them in a box, picking one out each day and talking about them. They were simple promises like 'Good sharing' or 'Good tidying up'. We tried to keep them as a class. Purple is the colour for Lent, and it is symbolic to clear the prayer table and just use a cross, then decorate it when Easter comes (white and gold) As Easter approaches you can talk about the Easter story, in child friendly terms, for instance we re-enacted the entry into Jerusalem. At Easter it's all about joy and new life. Hope this helps. Don't forget thanking God for our mums on Mothering Sunday!

5. The other aspect of Lent is about giving to others, so you may want to have some sort of charity appeal during this time, such as children filling smartie boxes with coins for a chosen charity.

6. GemsEYFS

GemsEYFS New commenter

Thumbie thank you so much for your help!