1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

re heating meat

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by im tired, Feb 26, 2011.

1. <font size="2">Hello lovely ladies!!</font><font size="2"> just been wondering today about heating up meat dishes for your LO's. I tend to have a big cook off, puree then freeze everything in one of those ice cube trays with a lid.</font><font size="2"> i give my LO a meat base meal for her evening meal, so i take out an ice cube or two in the morning to defrost in the fridge and then when its needed i just heat it up for 20 - 30 seconds in the microwave...... however when i reheat things for us (me and daddy) i always make sure that i heat it up piping hot, am i potentially poisoning my daughter????? </font>

2. <font size="2">Hello lovely ladies!!</font><font size="2"> just been wondering today about heating up meat dishes for your LO's. I tend to have a big cook off, puree then freeze everything in one of those ice cube trays with a lid.</font><font size="2"> i give my LO a meat base meal for her evening meal, so i take out an ice cube or two in the morning to defrost in the fridge and then when its needed i just heat it up for 20 - 30 seconds in the microwave...... however when i reheat things for us (me and daddy) i always make sure that i heat it up piping hot, am i potentially poisoning my daughter????? </font>

3. I would personally always heat it til it's piping then allow it to cool- just like you do for yourself. I know that milk can just be heated for a few seconds to "take the edge off" the cold but meat is meat, whether it's for you or your baby! I'm sure she hasn't been poisoned up until now as I'm guessing you'd know about it! However I probably wouldn't take the chance.

4. thought so, my hand has offically been slapped!!

thanks x

5. I like meat in the heat too....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ld1DTmXesTo
    Happy Saturday night on the wine everyone.....

6. I used to make up batches then freeze also. I used to reheat all food until it was really piping hot ( too hot for us to eat) then allow to cool down, that way any bacteria and other bugs should be killed. You really do have to make sure it has cooled down and throughly mixed to ensure there are no hot spots. I used to have to hide the food other wise there would be much distress until it had cooled down suficiently.

7. Hi does this to apply to purees of fruit and veg too? I have just started LO on baby rice and a bit of carrot and have frozen little pots of the carrot and defrost it in the fridge overnight and then leave out at room temp for a few mins to take the edge of as LO doesn't seem to mind it cool. Should I really be warming this up to piping hot and then letting it cool or does this only apply if you are warming it up at all?

8. I would warm everything through just to be sure, no point risking it.

9. Purees etc should really be reheated- when you leave these purees to cool bacteria grow rapidly- which is why food should be cooled quickly. Freezing slows down the growth but does not kill the bacteria- so when they defrost these bacteria are free to multiply.again- always heat food until it is piping hot to kill the bacteria. Chances are0 baby will be fine but no point risking a bout of gastro!

10. Anything I've read has said to make sure stuff is piping hot - I usually do 30 sec bursts in the micro until it's bubbling hot. then just leave to cool. Make sure you stir it well to remove any 'hot spots'. I foudn this on the annabel karmel website (I post about her an awful lot!)

Thaw foods by either taking them out of the freezer several hours before a meal, heating gently in a saucepan or defrosting in a microwave. Always reheat foods thoroughly, allow cooling and testing the temperature of the food before giving it to your baby. If reheating in a microwave, make sure that you stir the food to get rid of any hot spots.
    Never refreeze meals that have already been frozen. The exception to this is that raw frozen food can be returned to the freezer once it is cooked. For example cooked frozen peas can be re-frozen.
    Do not reheat foods more than once.

I tend to lift out stuff straight from the freezer and throw it into the microwave which is probably wrong. I don't use the defrost setting, just whack it on 'high'.