1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Re-entering teaching

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by tonyhrx, Jan 10, 2012.

1. I want to re-enter teaching. I've got qualified teacher status and taught secondary school biology, science and chemistry way back in the 80s.
    Since then I've had a career in IT developing websites, coding applications and creating, managing and delivering training programmes.
    So while my formal classroom experience is ages ago, actually Ive been actively training adults since then.
    I'm really keen to teach ICT or Computing - becuse I like it - and also because I would have to do a considerable amount of re-learning for the science curricula.
    Is this a wise choice? Are schools crying out for ICT or computing teachers?
    Any advice would be most welcome.

2. I want to re-enter teaching. I've got qualified teacher status and taught secondary school biology, science and chemistry way back in the 80s.
    Since then I've had a career in IT developing websites, coding applications and creating, managing and delivering training programmes.
    So while my formal classroom experience is ages ago, actually Ive been actively training adults since then.
    I'm really keen to teach ICT or Computing - becuse I like it - and also because I would have to do a considerable amount of re-learning for the science curricula.
    Is this a wise choice? Are schools crying out for ICT or computing teachers?
    Any advice would be most welcome.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well, aren't you the lucky man! I assume that Tony = male, could be wrong.
    The TDA (look it up) has just revamped the RTT (look it up - you'll need to get used to all these acronyms) to give preference to those with Science qualifications:
    http://www.tda.gov.uk/teacher/returning-to-teaching/ske-for-returners.aspx
    Off you go!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

4. Just wanted to say good luck. Recently the schools ICT curriculum has been under scrutiny with people saying it needs a shake up to focus more on the industry needs (i.e. more focus on coding and less on Microsoft word). Could be good news in terms of demand for ICT teachers!

5. Thanks Theo, your reply is much appreciated.
    I already looked at the TDA website and indeed registered for the RTT programme.
    Sadly registration provides no feedback at all and I have yet to hear anything from the TDA about anything. There is no regular newsletter and no access to extra information as promised.
    Here's not the place to criticise the site, but basically it sucks.
    After all that I kind of get led to the conclusion that there are no clearly defined pathways for getting back into teaching (unless its mths, physics chemistry) and that you are pretty much on your own.
    Which is fair enough, we all have to start somewhere!

6. Thank you for your reply and kind words.
    I've noticed there is a bit of a debate around ICT at the moment - and I feel very sorry for those ICT teachers who put their heart and soul into teaching a curriculum that under scrutiny seems to be falling short.
    From my own experience of employing programmers, progamming itself is becoming part of the low wage economy - ie it's farmed out to the far east, or part of Europe. It's almost like employing a drone.
    What we do lack are programmers that actually have a well-rounded education, who are creative and who get the wider picture.