1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

RE enrichment

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by louiseecook, Sep 14, 2012.

1. louiseecook

louiseecook New commenter

Our school is having a push on enrichment as it was highlighted in our last ofsted.
    Does anyone have any ideas for trips/speakers that have worked well in the past for them?
    My school is in East London.

Many Thanks

2. durgamata

durgamata Occasional commenter

I have lots of ideas and I can come in as a speaker. send me a pm if you are interested. And I live in London so while I would need travel expenses that would only be a bit to cover the Oyster card.

I can come on Thursday afternoons and Fridays any time.

I will get back to you in a more structured way with some practical ideas after the weekend. A lot on at the moment.

3. durgamata

Having said that, I just had a look on Google and have copied a few bits which I will upload as a resource for you and edit/add to when I get time.

It would seem that many schools have an Enrichment Week and take the kids on trips.

If you were to be asked to do an RE one of these I would suggest that it could be used not only to visit places of worship or pilgrimage - but perhaps somewhere wild, where you could camp out and see the sunrise, for example. That could be linked in a cross-curricular way with PE (a ten mile walk through the countryside - or a bit of orienteering?) or with Geography, a river or coastal study? or with science (looking for mini-beasts in a river or testing the water for pollution?)

I could do a session on meditation or visualisation, based on Buddhism, Hinduism, Christianity or my own spiritual Teacher's path (which is not restricted to any religion. He has students from every religious background, even atheist).

I could also do one based on an art activity, such as 'create your own cave-painting' using home-made charcoal, 'mud paint, sand paint and chalk paint on pre-prepared 'rock' paper - which I make from wood-chip wall-paper. I've done this in a few schools and it is really fun. I've made a slide-show of cave paintings and rock paintings from around the world and we can discuss what kind of role they may have played in the lives of the communities who created them.

Another RE/Art activity is making a mandala or mendhi patterns or a big rangoli pattern made with coloured rice - again I have done workshops based on these, where we look at some Hindu or Buddhist examples and some of the ideas/symbolism behind them.

I would love to work with you on this.

4. durgamata

Good luck. Let me know if you need anything specific. I can't do more on this at the moment as I'm preparing to give a workshop in October - but if there is something specific I will be able to prioritise that.

Were the Christian - Environment links and Islam - Environment links useful? I can check out the other religions too in a similar way. I think that Buddhism and Hinduism might be particularly useful as they link closely with the earth.

I have a resource which is Native American quotes which may also be full of suitable interest.

Do let us know how it goes.