1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Re-deathing

Discussion in 'Personal' started by xena-warrior, Jan 21, 2016.

1. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

This is a horrible trick played on those of us too old to actually remember if we had in fact heard it before. Just heard on BBC that Leslie Neilson died years ago. I read he only died last week. How much grieving do these terminally under-employed cyber-halfwits want me to do? What day is it? Is that nice Mr Macmillan still the Prime Minister?

2. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I read about this today, xena. The issue cropped up as a consequence of someone googling Leslie Neilson, found a news article that announced his death and didn't bother to look at the date of the article before shedding tears about his demise on Facebook and Twitter.

It seems she wasn't the only daft person we share this planet with, because before too long, those old news articles were appearing in the most read links on news media sites, encouraging even more people to be shocked by his death again.

3. xena-warrior

Call me daft again and I will be round to shave your eyebrows off.

4. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I didn't know he'd died!
    I expect they expect you to beat your chest and pull your hair out in grief as a minimum expression of how utterly distraught you are. Public and en-masse grief seems to be the way to go these days.

5. FritzGrade

FritzGrade Senior commenter

The urge to post fake grief seems uncontrollable, as the last week or so has shown.

Duke of York likes this.
  6. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Tony Hart seems to die on a regular basis. I've twice had to point out in recent years to grieving fans that he was already dead.

7. xena-warrior

But surely the more sane of us manage to temper our (temporary, mild) sadness at the passing of someone we never knew personally but were touched via their [whatever] public contribution, without resorting to hair-pulling, clothes-renting or shrine-building. The proportionateness (did i just make that word up?) doesn't diminish the passing, nor the deceased's contribution to our own lives.

8. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

It's what I term 'Dead-Di Syndrome'. Grief doesn't exist unless it it public and slightly hysterical.

grumpydogwoman, Noja, ScotSEN and 3 others like this.
  9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Lots of people die every day... deal with it... move on.

Only close family and friends truly matter to the individual.

10. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I dunno. I have lost people very close to me but...if it is someone I knew through their work (never met), I do feel a bit of sadness, especially if it was someone I admired, eg Alan Rickman...

But public displays of hysteria is creepy - I remember the weirdness of Princess Diana's death and was gobsmacked at the public reaction -as an American, I was shocked at the hysteria, shops closing and the thousands of flowers for someone 99% of Britons had never met...

cissy3 likes this.
  11. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Part of the problem is the BBC search algorithm that finds similar stories that come up in the links bar they have.

It used to be a problem on a Sunday morning I noticed with all kinds of old stuff turning up, it has been better recently but I suppose the flurry of celebrity deaths has made it happen again.

12. Duke of York

And neither did 99% of the population give a toss about. You'd be surprised at how far half a million bunches of flowers can be spread and what half a million people can look like in a crowd when the camera angles are right.

Half or a quarter of that number would still look impressive and was probably closer to the truth. It's all media induced stuff. Totally pointless apart from the money that can be made out of it.

I hate it. I felt I was a good enough judge of Diana's character and the motives behind what she did when she was alive. I don't want my opinions to be altered by sentimental claptrap and hype by a bunch of jerks hoping to cash in on her death.

13. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Interestingly I was in the crowd on the night they brought her body back to Kensington Palace and it was truly terrifying. I thought we might be crushed to death. I went up to Kensington Palace with the ex Mr Lasca who is a sociologist, to witness the phenomenon. There were people lighting candles under the trees and a roaring trade at stalls selling candles and all manner of votive paraphernalia. We got on the tube at Southfields and at every stop to High street Ken more and more people boarded all carrying bouquets of flowers. till the train was absolutely packed. There were police with megaphones trying to control the crowd but the surge when the coffin arrived was very frightening. I actually do believe millions of people were involved in the hysteria around her death.

lindenlea, Noja, RedQuilt and 2 others like this.
  14. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

I was living in America at the time.

Previously, many people had asked me if I had met her (me being a Brit of course!)

Then many people said ''I'm so sorry for your loss''

Except that I did not feel any personal loss whatsoever.

ScotSEN and Duke of York like this.
  15. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Fortunately this event pre-dated Twitter

ScotSEN and Duke of York like this.
  16. Duke of York

So what do we learn from this?

17. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I admit when I watch programmes like the Oscar ceremony and they have the section on people "lost" during the past year, I am surprised at some, saddened at others and yes _ I haven't known these people personally but they were in the public eye and I have enjoyed/been affected by or loved their work quite often.

The rush to place often tacky bunches of flowers in garish plastic wrap at the scene of a death I often feel is inappropriate and I detest some of the interviews we are faced with on news/local news of people weeping who probably hardly knew the victim. I remember a child in my year group being killed on his bike in the neighbourhood. There was none of this hysteria. School dealt with the incident tactfully and gently and there was no histrionics. It did affect me personally because his family were ex neighbours of mine and I had known him as a small child growing up as well as a secondary school pupil. I felt nothing but sympathy for his family and we did something appropriate at school in his memory.

I was in Paris and saw the early news re Diana's death on French tv. I think the French were more affected than I.

sabrinakat likes this.
  18. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

A lot of people, but a distinct minority, were keenly interested in Diana's death. But the media, and the Government, weren't keen to show any alternative 'quite frankly, my dear, l don't give a damn' point of view.

19. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Now I disagree with the notion that people didn't give a damn. If you agree with Donne's belief that no man is an island it was something truly unnerving that had happened and it touched many people. It was a 'big player' suffering a terrible downfall in full public view like something in a Greek tragedy, leaving two young children to grow up without their mother. It had all the classic ingredients of hubris, betrayal, revenge, people of 'high birth' etc. The actual death happened off stage and then the messengers came to tell of it. I was shaken when I turned my TV on and saw the news. No, I didn't know her personally but the tragedy was still dramatic and left me feeling raw.

I remember seeing Ralph Fiennes as Oedipus Rex at the National and sobbing at the end when he had put his eyes out with Jocasta's brooch. I wept for him but also for Jocasta because she had lost her boy twice- once when he was a baby who had to be abandoned and again in adulthood because he was her husband by a cruel twist of fate. I cried because I have boys and I knew what it would be like to lose them- may god forbid!

20. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I was in the USA at the time... people were deeply affected.

Came back to Britain and couldn't understand what was up with the lot of you... couldn't find anyone who wasn't determined to tell me how upset they were...