1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

RE Day in Primary School

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Nikki786, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Nikki786

Nikki786 New commenter

I would like to run an RE day in the school I work out as part of my subject leadership however I am stuck on how to do this as it needs to involve all children from Nursery to Year 6. I am not sure whether to focus on one religion or give each year group a different religion/ focus to work on. Any ideas will be appreciated. Thank you :)

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Could you have a theme? Maybe food or festivals or something similar and each class researches and creates some artwork based on the religious link to the theme. Their class teacher could choose whether to use just one religion or many.
    Then have an end of day assembly where classes bring their artwork and a few children present what they've done.

Nikki786 likes this.
  3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

When we did this, we did just concentrate on one religion. Had different (usually visiting) speakers and activities for different Key Stages.

JosieWhitehead likes this.
  4. Nikki786

Nikki786 New commenter

That sounds like a good idea. I did think about having a whole school assembly to share work as it would be a good way to summarise. In terms of themes, I'm not sure what to pick but for festivals I was thinking about Easter as I have to do this RE day before the spring term ends.

5. newromantic

newromantic Occasional commenter

It depends on what you want the pupils/staff to get out of the RE day: eg :developing learning/staff knowledge in a specific area, spiritual awareness, miracles (in any religion), religious buildings, comparing religious festivals and artefacts. If you are organising the day it should have a structure - maybe you could send information home and ask parents to be involved? Hope this helps @Nikki786.

6. caterpillartobutterfly

You could choose Easter, but as it is a Christian festival, you would be doing a Christian day, rather than an RE day.

Maybe google RE day, or search with the same terms on here in resources?

7. Lara mfl 05

Though it links quite well with the Jewish festival of Passover.

8. caterpillartobutterfly

But if the day is around Easter...ie the death and resurrection of the long awaited Messiah, then linking in Judaism might cause a lot of confusion.

I think a more general 'festivals' might be better and each class exploring a different one. then you could cover all religions.

9. Lara mfl 05

I was referring to the whole festival/ ce,lebration of Easter, which 'technically' starts with the Last Supper, which links well with the Passover Meal, which could then be extended to 'other meal celebrations or lack of, such as Eid-al-Fitr with Muslims.

10. newromantic

newromantic Occasional commenter

The theme could be something like ‘faith’ or ‘belief’ rather than focusing on one celebration or festival. The staff could then plan according to their year group.

11. Nikki786

Nikki786 New commenter

Which religion did you focus on if you don't mind me asking? Could you also give me some examples of the different types of activities you did please.

12. Nikki786

Nikki786 New commenter

I was initially thinking about Easter but like you said, it would be just focusing on Christianity. I have googled for some ideas. There's one school that gave each year group a different religion and then they produced art work linking to that religion. If I go ahead with that I need 7 different religions to cover Early years - Year 6

13. Nikki786

Nikki786 New commenter

The parents in my school aren't that supportive to be honest. I want to focus on festivals and just get the children to understand that each religion has its own importance to its followers and that it's ok to learn about it as we have some narrow minded parents who want to withdraw their children from taking part in RE lessons.

14. Lara mfl 05

We used to do one of these each term, so we rotated around Judaism, Islam & then either Hinduism / Buddhism etc.

We usually had a 'leader' so Rabbi, Imran etc. to talk to the elder ones, UKS2.
    Youngest ones KS1 and R would have someone doing something 'creative', so clothing / face painting type activities and LKS2 would do something food-orientated.

EDIT
    This is one reason why we did these once a term sessions.

15. caterpillartobutterfly

Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam, Judaism, Christianity, Sikhism are the six main religions.
    Year 6 could do something with Humanism or similar 'non-religion', Tw inkl have some great planning on Humanism for year 6 if you want some background.

16. Nikki786

Nikki786 New commenter

Sounds great. Unfortunately RE has never been a big thing in the school I'm at but this is one of the reasons why I want to have an RE day and then continue to raise the profile by inviting people to school. Thank you for your helpful ideas :)

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  17. Nikki786

Nikki786 New commenter

I might go down the route of celebrations and give each team a different religion to focus on. Fingers crossed it goes well. Thank you for your useful ideas :)