1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

re capability procedure

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by grundy1, Nov 13, 2011.

1. grundy1

grundy1 New commenter

this is my fifth year teaching and up until the last six months have always had good observations including one from ofsted who catagorised me as good with outstanding. Problem is now there is a new head who to put it blunt is making me feel rubbish, i have had two unsatisfactory lesson observations off the head. I am a gibbering wreck every time they come into the classroom, i am made to feel absolutely rubbish and my health has started to suffer. I am having panic attacks and cry at drop of a hat. There is a lot more too it but feel very difficult to put down on paper. The final straw was when a SIO was included in the lesson obs and agreed with the head, but i am sure it is all because i cant cope with the head. I am concerned that the next step will be a capability procedure and dont know what to do. I have support from some members of staff. A member of staff went through same last year and ended up resigning i cant afford to do this and there are no jobs about.
    Any advice please as just thinking about going into school has sent me panicing already

2. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

Talk to teacher support line, GP and your union. Taking time off will help in the short term, but eventually you'll have to go back. Even though you can't afford to resign you need to make sure that you don't end up on formal capability and your union can help you with that.

3. I really feel for you! It happened to several colleagues of mine and although 'they' never came after me, I felt the place had become intolerable to work in and left. I was fortunate to be offered jobs and the one I accepted is a million times better than the last one. I have the Head from 'heaven' and not the one from 'hell'; they ARE out there!!
    Once your self-esteem/confidence is affected, it is hard to claw your way back. There has to be reasons 'they' are going after you and no one else and sometimes these reasons 'suck' but there is little we can do about it. The Unions are useless. I have not been in a Union since leaving my last post and will never join one again; sorry to those who are offended by this (not).
    If you are in a Union you can get them to 'negotiate' a way out for you with maybe a lump sum payout for remainder of year, if Head is desperate to get rid of you. You could also negotiate a decent reference from the Head. A colleague did just that and it worked to their advantage. ALL IS NOT LOST AND KEEP YOUR HEAD HELD HIGH!!!
    Remember - YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!!

4. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

I don't think the OP is even at the informal stage of capability yet: negotiating a compromise agreement should be as a very last resort and not something snatched at immediately. I haven't heard of any lump sums being paid for remainder of the year: around three months (although tax free) seems to be the limit.
    I would agree with the part of your post that says you are not alone, however OP. Many others have been in this situation and have lived to tell the tale if you like.
    If you feel that the Head's presence makes you nervous then I would suggest asking for support from perhaps a local advisor or HOD. As well as helping you, they will also be able to see first-hand that your teaching is normally good. I have to admit that I had a bad attack of nerves in my last observation so I sympathise a lot with this.
    And do ask for support from your union and keep pushing where that is concerned. x

5. grundy1

grundy1 New commenter

The latest is I have seen occupational health and am having counselling, but this has only got the head off my back till early jan. I am sure she will do several obs which will be unsatisfactory and therefore she will put me on informal cap procedure. She is trying her hardest to make my life hell.

6. Torey

Have you spoken to your union?

7. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

Been there, done that, got the T shirt. Make sure that your union is involved and don't let her see you're suffering.
    Good luck x

8. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

Yeah me too. Horrible thing to go through and I never thought it would happen to me.
    Get union advice. Document and date anything she says or does and keep it for your records. Keep any lesson obs feedback, book scrutiny feedback etc.
    Job hunt daily.
    Maybe try to have a heart to heart with her. Perhaps the hardest thing you'll ever do but laying it on the line with how she makes you feel could help...you never know!

9. You are lucky...I was put on informal capabilities after ONE observation and then, after getting 5 good observations and with the last one being classed as unsatisfactory (even though I had asked for assistance due to my disability and it was not given and this was explained to the head) I was then put on formal capability and then the following week told I was being considered for redundancy but knew that I was the one being redundant by a comment made by the head at the meeting.
    All of this was as a result of my putting in a grievance against the head, so at least I can explain why.
    Slippedadisc...
    I found that as well - my union did not take the amount or extent of bullying that I was going through seriously enough and even when the grievance was going through, did not acknowledge that further bullying was occuring. The fact that it took 18 months and the grievance was still live, should have told them that it was being pushed after the carpet in the hope that I would drop it...just made me more determined to follow it through. My union was livid when the school 'rang them' to tell them that I had put in a complaint to the Employment Tribunal....thats when I realised that the union rep was in cahoots with the school and looking at their interests, rather than mine!
    Grundy1...hope you can sort this out....it is not right that this is allowed to continue.

10. Torey

My union supported me all the way and thought my head was one of the worst they'd met, so hope your union is as good. If not you can do what someone else did and take the union to court as well and get all your subs back.

11. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

It isn't really as simple as that though to be fair. We have it drummed into us as teachers that the union are there to support us and to offer advice and if they do not or if their advice is incorrect it's hard to know where to turn to.
    I spoke to my union earlier and I'm fairly sure the advice they gave me is wrong but who am I to challenge? It's difficult.
    I so hope it works out for you all, I believe that it will although it's the worst thing to go through when you're in the middle of it. When you look back from the outside it won't seem so bad, I promise x

12. Torey

I know it isn't easy! If you don't trust the advice given then you can see an employment solicitor. You can often get the first hour free.