1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

RE: Biology 'A' Level

Discussion in 'Science' started by QueenOfTheLab, Mar 20, 2011.

1. We accept students for A-level Sciences if they have C in the individual subject or a BB in double science. Although management says the opposite, I'm personally far happier taking on a BB double science student than a CCC triple science student.

In Biology, I'd be looking for, if not a B in GCSE Bio, then a C plus a pretty good English Language grade. If the Chemistry grade is good then I can do something there. Bio is sometimes thought of as a bit of a doss subject because of the lack of maths in most specifications, but Physics would ask for a B in Physics and Maths no questions asked.

I would echo the earlier post - a C at Foundation is wholly different to a C at Higher level. When my colleagues imply that we shouldn't accept any double science students I remind them that I was a double science student and it was good enough for Cambridge University. I think more than triple science, mastery of whatever science you do is important at GCSE. C grades do not show mastery. And yes, the majority of my C GCSE students in A-level have the battle of their lives on to get through AS with anything above a D.

2. Ditto the above. One thing we can be (almost) certain of is the likelihood of a fail at A-Level for C grade students. Years of experience proves this.

Sorry.

3. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Bs at least. I have heard of Departments which won't take anyone without As. And I'd expect competent Maths GCSE too - again a B is realistic minimum.

4. teo

teo

From experience, I look for A grades from Science + Additional Science students or a B grade in Biology.

5. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Even A grade students often find A level difficult. It's the linking of ideas/concepts and the literacy skills needed to express these links that is hard. Im never happy acceprting a C grade student. I also have problem with A grade IGCSE students as they have almost zero practical skills.

6. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

My centre has a policy of accepting all students on to any A level if they have a C grade. Generally we put them off the subject in the first couple of weeks by putting a lot of pressure on them and while they still can switch to something more appropriate.