1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

RE and the EBACC

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by durgamata, Jun 7, 2011.

1. durgamata

durgamata Occasional commenter

NATRE about RE & EBacc
    The decision about whether or not RE is included in the EBacc will be made in June! More evidence is needed of the impact of the EBacc on RE.

So ... NATRE would like to ask all secondary RE teachers to complete an online survey to gather the data we need. Click here to access the survey.

Would you please:
    a) Circulate the link above to every secondary teacher of RE you know ? and complete it yourself if appropriate
    b) Use all the local authority, diocesan or other networks you can to make sure the link reaches everybody
    c) Think creatively about how to spread the link ? message boards (e.g. TES), Twitter, Facebook, school/la/diocesan websites, press contacts.

NATRE had an absolutely magnificent response to their first survey back in January ? 900 responses, and it made a significant impact. This second survey needs to be completed as a matter of urgency - it?s our last chance to try and persuade the government to include RE in the EBacc.

Contact NATRE if you have any questions ? and keep an eye on our websites for updates ? www.natre.org.uk ? and www.retoday.org.uk.

This is the English Bacc and RE issue again.

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the NATRE survey (first one quoted by the press - from January?

Is there any more news regarding how this latest one is going?

This message says the decision will be made this month so please contact all schools in your region and urge them to complete the NATRE survey and email their MPs. I have email list up to surname A-C and am working on D's but most MPs reply requesting post code and state that they follow policy guidelines in only responding to constituents. That means its really important to contact your own MP and encourage friends family and other RE depts and schools to do the same. We really need to keep up the pressure.

I have now sent about 150 emails and received just four 'decent' replies - I have uploaded the replies and my replies to their replies on My Resources alongside my original email.

Replies are from -Andy Burnham MP

Louise Bagshawe MP /p

2. durgamata

and from Steve Baker MP

3. durgamata

Now added contacts for all MP's with a surname starting with D. Also found a couple of good lists on internet which give contact details for all MPs so I will use these to send my own emails if it is quicker that way - but I think you still have to click on each separately. My list of emails is just a simple list which you can copy into your BCC box and so send many in one go. I just sent emails to all the D's for example. (my list is uploaded as a resource and I will keep adding to it until they are all there.

Does anyone have any idea of what stage the EBacc review has reached or when it will be discussed/ decided? INATRE mentioned that it is to be decided this month - so it is really urgent.

4. Sticking my neck out and having no evidence whatsoever, I have a suspicion that Michael Gove might use the 'festival of education' on 25th/26th June at the prestigous independent school Wellington college ( see http://www.festivalofeducation.org.uk/) as his venue for an announcment about the EBacc. I may be wrong, but he is certainly delivering a speech and will feel he is among friends ... It can't realistically be any later than that ... I feel like we've been waiting on tenderhooks forever...

5. durgamata

Just spent an hour browsing the website for this event and copied the info onto a resource I am uploading. This comprises three files - one is the programme - one is general introduction, exhibitors info and the 150 speakers list (info and pictures) and the third is the festival blog. I have booked to go both days. As an aspiring Educationalist and Consultant I don't think I can afford to miss it. Also I will do my best to send my Ebacc email to all the speakers too.

this is a battle. We have to fight it really seriously if we want to be there. I would like to prepare a leaflet about the RE Ebacc situation to give to delegates.

Along with my own business leaflets advertising my workshops and consultancy of course!!