1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

RE and SEN withdrawal

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by GeorgeFriendly, Jul 8, 2011.

1. My understanding of withdrawing pupils from RE for interventions is that only parents and carers can request this. Schools are not meant to canvas parents in order to gain permission for intervention withdrawal. This is because RE is a non-National Curriculum subject. My question is, is it fairly common practice in schools to do this? It is in mine and I find it very irritating. So much for stating that RE is an oh-so important subject.

2. Sorry, I made a mistake here. I mean that parents can request withdrawal on grounds that they don't wish their child to receive RE lessons, not that they want them withdrawn for intervention.

3. Legally a child cannot do another subject during an RE lesson. Its my policy that if a parent withdraws their child they have to provide religious based work for them to complete during the same time and in the classroom. I drew this policy with the County RE Advisor. If SEN are removed when do they get their lesson? Sounds to me another school breaching the law when it comes to our wonderful subject

4. And the truth is, RE is a subject where children with SEN can really achieve. How disappointing when a school chooses to do this.

5. The irony is that our pupils are currently been withdrawn from RE for 'Social Skills' (SEAL, I guess).

6. Shocking!