1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Re-advertised

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by lescargot, Dec 6, 2015.

1. lescargot

lescargot Occasional commenter

What does it mean when a post is re-advertised? Unable to appoint first time round? Not enough applicants? If there's someone acting in a promoted post can they be appointed permanently without advertising/interviewing?

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

It means they didn't find somebody they liked first time round, either because there weren't enough applicants, or they thought they could do better than the perfectly decent applicants who applied.

3. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

A colleague went for a job, but it was re-advertised.
    He/she applied again and didn't get an interview.

A side story to this is that he/she "was told" that he/she was a cert for the job by the HT after the original interview.
    He/she couldn't explain why they weren't offered the job there and then, if it was such a certainty.
    He/she was raging when they didn't get an interview second time round and told everyone that the union was pushing for some sort of grievance against the school in question.
    He/she decided not to pursue this route because they didn't want to create a bad impression with the council.
    Walter Mitty, anyone?

4. lescargot

I know there's someone there acting so find it strange. Ah well. As I thought.

5. halfajack

halfajack Occasional commenter

Either they didn't apply or management want someone else.

6. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

There used to be a minimum number of required applicants but Idon't know if that still applies. If I was acting and didn't get it - i'd be very upset!

7. lescargot

Exactly! But it does happen, especially in promoted posts. If acting person is more or less a shoo-in don't see why we need to go through the sham of application/interview. Waste of everyone's time and resources! Should be allowed to just appoint.

Freddie92 likes this.
  8. halfajack

When I was applying for teaching jobs, they often went to the person on long-term supply in post. However, when it comes to promoted posts, I've seen more of them go externally in the last five years or so.

lescargot likes this.
  9. lescargot

I wonder why. I suppose at times external candidates bring a fresh eye and a different set of skills. Interesting though.

10. halfajack

Putting myself in a HT's shoes, it's less risky to keep on a safe pair of hands and stick with what you know for a classroom teacher. A promoted post brings greater responsibility and not as many people are up to it.

11. braemar

braemar New commenter

For a readvertisement it could be because there were no applicants for the post? This has happened a few times here.

12. morrisseyritual

morrisseyritual Occasional commenter

Interview and appointment (or non appointment) are really the only occasions HTs can flex their authoritarian muscles with little or no comeuppance. Indecision, inexperience and egregious whimsy of some Heidys at play in the yoyo advertising of appointments. Doesn't inspire confidence.

13. Potatoes005

Potatoes005 Occasional commenter

Reasons for readvertisement:

Not enough applicants to meet criteria
    Applicants who were interviewed were unsuitable

The person they wanted to apply didn't apply
    The person they wanted did apply but made a mess of it and they're getting time to recharge their batteries before being reinterviewed through readvertisement.

That's in my experience of sitting on HT appointment panels.

Freddie92 likes this.
  14. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

I've been in the situation where I've been interviewed, rejected, and it's been re-advertised. Clearly no point in re-applying.

I've currently seen a job re-advertised for which I was not even shortlisted, back in November. This was a bit surprising - my current Head said she thought I'd have an excellent chance at it.

Given that the advert does not explicitly state "previous applicants need not apply otherwise we'll take out a restraining order", is there any point in applying again (after, of course, a very critical look over my last letter/form to see why I put them off earlier)? @TheoGriff ? :)

15. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Each time that you apply, you are in competition with other applicants. If those applicants have since got jobs, they are no longer the competition.

So a new application, checking VERY carefully that you are addressing THEIR requirements, not just giving your side of the story, could well be a different kettle of fish this time.

Why you should always include an E.S. in an application

Best wishes

16. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

Do you know it actually went to interview?

I once appled for a job but heard nothing. I then saw the post readvertised. When I phoned the school to query I was told that there had not been enough applicants and all I needed to do if I was still interested was to write in saying so. No need to complete another application.