1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

RE: 3D shapes and reception!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by troodles, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Love your shape family idea. Can you share some of the songs? I've got a cylinder song but stumped on covering all 3d shapes with songs

2. Hi troodles. Just had a look and found some 3d shape rhymes;

Cone, cone,What's your clue? Don't let the ice cream drip on you! (1 corner, 2 faces,1 edge)

Cuboid, cuboid, What's your clue? I'm like the tissue box when you say atchoo! (8 corners 6 square faces,12 edges)

Sphere, sphere, What's your clue? I'm like the football which you kick with your shoe! (1 face, 0 edges, 0 corners)

Cube, cube, What's your clue? I look like the ice in a drink for you! (8 corners, 6 square faces, 12 edges)

Pyramid, pyramid, What's your clue? I look like the house the Egyptians walked through! (5 faces, 8 edges, 5 corners)

Cylinder, cylinder, What's your clue? I look like a tin of cream of chicken soup! (2 edges, 3 faces)

Hope these help...although I'd be tempted to change the cylinder rhyme! :)

Fi

3. Pow

Pow

A good independent activity is to cut open a box and let them try to put it together. You could have different sized boxes, when I did it some children had a go at making their own boxes. I like printing with solid shapes and making cylinder people. A good plenary activity is to give all the children a solid shape and ask related questions e.g. if your shape has straight sides stand up.