1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

RCT/NCT Literacy Teacher

Discussion in 'English' started by Paigepreedy, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Paigepreedy

Paigepreedy New commenter

Hello everyone!

I am looking for some advice and guidance regarding a new role i will be taking on after the Summer holidays (Literacy Teacher for 9 classes). I am a new teacher (2 years experience) and have jotted lots of ideas down for a rough yearly plan. I am wondering if someone has had a similar role in the past and can provide some helpful tips, plans or suggestions which may help me. Much appreciated and thanks in advance!

Paige

2. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

Can you be more specific about your job description? What ages are you teaching, how often, specific goals etc? Maybe you could also share your rough plan so we can get an idea of what you're aiming for?

3. Paigepreedy

Thanks for your reply! So i will be teaching 9 classes throughout the primary school from p1-p7 (ages 4-12 roughly). I will have each class for 2.5 hours per week give or take. My responsibility is to teach the literacy curriculum to each class. So far I have split the aspects of literacy over the 4 terms but I'm not sure if i'm on the right track.

Term 1: Reading strategies (scanning, skimming etc)
    Term 2: Writing (scripts, imaginative, functional etc)
    Term 3: Novel Study (HOTS, BLOOMS)
    Term 4: Moving Image Education/Film Studies
    Ongoing: handwriting and grammar

Your thoughts would be much appreciated!

4. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

So, you plan on teaching the above to all year groups? Don't you need to differentiate according to age? The above will not prepare them for SATS (or secondary school).

Will they be having 'English' lessons with their regular teacher too, with you supporting additional literacy? Or is it just you?

Are they going to spend 14 weeks skimming and scanning? Seems like a long time.

You are missing fundamental details such as making sure they can use capital letters, punctuation, different sentence types, nouns, adjectives... but you've included film studies?!

Have a look here, seems comprehensive: https://www.hamilton-trust.org.uk/browse/english/y6/autumn/95105 ('Scheme of Work' link on left).

As a secondary English teacher I have found that if they come to secondary school without automatically being able to use correct capitalisation, punctuation and so on then they will struggle right through to GCSEs and beyond. So from my perspective the sort of content on the linked SOW is essential. You can practise skimming and scanning within a topic, such as scanning for conjunctions, or throw in the odd reading comprehension task to mix things up. You can use a novel or short stories as the basis for any of the above - looking at the choice of verbs, sentence types, sensory descriptions, and so on.

5. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

I would also be wary of isolating reading and writing skills - they need to be taught to read as writers, and use published writing as models, whether it's read-along books or literature.
    Also, your plan looks like they'll be waiting almost a year to come back to any particular skill. I highly recommend a more integrated and 'spiralling' approach.
    Good questions from bluesky - your role isn't entirely clear although what you've provided is much more helpful for getting a picture of what'll be happening.

Paigepreedy likes this.
  6. Paigepreedy

Thank-you for your reply.

Of course they are not going to be spending 14 weeks doing skimming and scanning... I thought this was obvious but apparently not. With the Curriculum for Excellence, we do not sit SATS but I agree the importance of the skills being taught in a meaningful context in a more integrated way.
    Of course lessons are differentiated, it will not be the same lesson taught to 9 classes. I will have each class for 2.5 hours per week and this ranges from primary 1 to primary 7 so the learning is age and stage appropriate.
    As a primary RCT teacher in Scotland we cover an area of the curriculum as identified in the school improvement plan and work alongside the class teachers to identify which skills to develop. Our school is looking to improve Comprehension skills so I will be doing a lot of work around pulling apart texts to deepen learning. Also, yes I have included film studies with the importance of visual literacy.

The classes will still have core literacy from their class teacher as well as RWI/Fresh Start.

7. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Nope, wasn't obvious.

pepper5 likes this.