1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

RCM Acronym and web safe colours

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by davex691, Nov 26, 2018.

1. davex691

davex691 New commenter

Hi everyone,

I am currently struggling with finding any information on how colours could be represented as RCM and websafe colours.
    Here is my question:

How it may encode 010100100100001101001101 so that it is displayed as the acronym RCM or colour purple using web safe colours.

I already decoded binary code and colour turns out as a purple.

2. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

I think the question is how 010100100100001101001101 might represent RCM, rather than RCM being a colour.

If you split the digits into three 8-digit blocks, 01010010 is 82, 01000011 is 67 and 01001101 is 77 (i.e. converting the binary to denary).

If you then assume that these are ASCII codes, 82 represents R, 67 is C and 77 is M.

I haven't heard the term "web safe colours" for years - it used to be used when computers weren't able to display as many shades, but even a cheap mobile phone can display 16 million colours these days. It now seems to be another name for HTML colour codes, where again you'd have three eight-bit numbers representing the amounts of red, green and blue respectively (each out of 256 - the higher the number the brighter the colour).

Where the numbers are the same for red, green and blue you get a shade of grey - in your example there is (a bit) more red and blue than green, so you'll get a darkish purpley-grey.

3. moscowbore

moscowbore Senior commenter