1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Raymond Blanc

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by SuzeJ, Feb 21, 2011.

1. I'm watching it too. It does make for relaxing viewing and the ingredients are all so beautiful!

2. The lobster was quite scary!

3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

It was a bit on the large side!
    I'm still drooling at the moules! My favourite [​IMG]

4. Scallops, yes, but I'm not a fan of moules [​IMG]

5. BelleDuJour

Am drooling over scallops now! [​IMG]

6. Looks like we're the only ones on here watching tonight. The scallops looked totally gorgeous [​IMG] The lobster is a bit feisty!

7. I'm watching too. It all looks soooo delicious! [​IMG]

8. BelleDuJour

.............am drooling at the lobster now!
    Scallops looked truly amazing [​IMG]

9. BelleDuJour

Think I might have to book my table at Le Manoir very soon.

10. I had lobster when we were in the Bahamas but wasn't that impressed. However, I'm sure Raymond's would be far superior.

11. henriette

henriette New commenter

I was wondering if I should put "lobster stunner" on my next birthday list - do Lakeland sell them, I wonder?

12. BelleDuJour

I was thinking along those same lines [​IMG]

13. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

I love lobster but have always been baffled to its cost, given that crab, to my mind, is far tastier yet at least half the price. I suspect it's its grandeur as well as the ease of serving the easily portionable tail and claws, rather than the fiddly, messy crab.

14. BelleDuJour

I love both crab and lobster but, to me, they are totally different tastes so not comparable.

15. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Well yes, but the point I was making was that the price for lobster is still too high, and I think derived from its apparent luxury status being driven by high-end restaurants buying them up, rather than the cost being necassarily worth it. I think of it as something similar to that of fillet steak. Most who know their stuff would agree that fillet is certainly not the tastiest cut of beef, yet it is the priciest due to its demand as a luxury cut.
    I certainly can't afford to eat lobster anything like regularly. The fish shed near us was offering live lobsters at £9.95 per lb on the weekend, which is on the cheap side, but still too expensive for us at the moment - £20 would have been the minumim spend for two to have had a decent amount of meat. A shame, because as a treat, it's wonderful.
    I simply prefer crab, generally and so it suits me that crab is cheaper. There are differences in taste, without a doubt, but they're not entirely incomparable in the way different fish, for example, are, such as turbot and mackerel.

16. BelleDuJour

I'm afraid we will have to agree to differ there Nick. Crab is soft, creamy, fluffy meat while lobster is solid, meaty and firm. Quite different. Only similar in that htey both have a shell and claws, like mackerel and turbot are similar as they have fins and gills.
    Mind you, it is easy to pay upwards of £25 for a good sized hen crab in a restaurant.

17. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

You're right! I'm not sure I'd pay that in a restaurant though - far more satisfying to buy one at half that price and cook it and demolish it in the garden (well, in the summertime, anyway) with nothing but good bread, maybe a garlic mayonnaise, and some good, cold wine.
    I appreciate not everyone has easy access to live crabs though, and I know we're lucky in that respect.
    And I appreciate they are quite different, texturally. I still prefer crab though!

18. BelleDuJour

Now you're talking!

19. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

I personally prefer crab to lobster for the flavour and texture.
    We had a seafood platter in Cap D'Agde a couple of years ago. It's mrs modelmaker's preferred dining experience when in the region and I can't tell you how poor I find I am on our return. On this occasion, when I took the lid off the crab I discovered it to be full of a horrible, greyish, watery liquid. I called the waiter over to ask if he felt it was ok and he replied "I don't know, I'm not an expert..." which I thought was an excellent way of evading awkward questions.

20. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Only caught the very end. That chocolate cake with the macaroons looked incredible. Am thinking up an excuse to make it now! I've made filled macaroons before and was surprised how easy they were, although mine were certainly a little 'rustic' looking to be fair!
    That tower looked wonderful, but I did feel that was just him showing off a little - not much use to the home cook who hasn't had years of training as a pastry chef! I'd also be too scared to eat it - in fact I'm not even sure how you'd eat it.
    I think I'll be looking out for the paperback copy of the accompanying book though, or at least keep an eye out for the hardback in the sales.
    I do like old Raymond, though. Along with Roux Jr, one of the more watchable TV chefs.