1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ray Bradbury

Discussion in 'Personal' started by coffeekid, Aug 22, 2019.

1. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Ray Bradbury was born on this day, 1920. Such a good short story writer, and when Trump was elected all I could think of was his story "A Sound of Thunder" (you can read it below if you want)
    In recent years I realised I love a bit of Sci-Fi lit - I recently read Children of Time, by Adrian Tchaicovsky and it blew me away. Read it! Very "original" (well it is to me) My husband loves the Anne Leckie novels (Ancillary Justice, etc) which I found a bit obtuse and annoying, but each to their own. Adam Roberts' "Jack Glass" and "By Light Alone" novels are fantastically imaginative and "Artemis" by Andy Weir was a fairly uncomplicated but entertaining read.
    Anyhoo - happy birthday Ray - even though you're deid.

https://www.myshortstories.org/sound-of-thunder-ray-bradbury/

mathsmutt, Laphroig and primarycat like this.
  2. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Lead commenter

Oh, @coffeekid, perrlease! You surely cannot have enjoyed Artemis?! It was suggested for our Book Club, so being the swot I am, I duly ordered it and began reading...
    The biggest load of rubbish ever! I think the author must have got an adolescent boy to ghost write it, so puerile was the so-called 'humour'. I think the worst bit of narrative was when the Muslim heroine (Jazz) 'dresses up as a Muslim girl' and mentions her niqab. She then says 'OK, you can stop pretending you know what a niqab is...' (or words to that effect - I no longer have the book to search for the actual quote - packed it off to a charity shop.) To add insult to injury, the proposer of the book stopped coming to Book Club, so we couldn't even hold him to account for his choice.
    I'm not a great Sci-Fi fan but rate Ray Bradbury highly.

3. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Lol, I did. I enjoyed it. I apologise for nothing. :)

BertieBassett2 likes this.
  4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I agree with you about Ann Leckie. I read part 1 and thought... that's ok... i got part two and thought ... well not much of anything, I was bored. Never got around to part three... life is too short.

Read the 'Three Body Problem' recently and that kept my interest... I have part 2 and 3 on the shelf waiting.

Been meaning to read Children of Time... always found Adam Roberts a bit smug. Went to talk of his once and his attitude put me off.

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Is that the one by Andy Weir?

I read The Martian so was going to give it a chance but you don't sell it well there...

6. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Lead commenter

Yes, Lan it’s Andy Weir. I haven’t read The Martian but understand it’s a lot better than Artemis. I really wanted to like it but the writing was appalling- I even checked on Amazon thinking it was me, but plenty of negative reviews.

7. Laphroig

Laphroig Lead commenter

Ray Bradbury, Isaac Asimov, Arthur C. Clarke were my staple reading diet growing up.

8. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Lead commenter

I used to love their books when I was young but when the family came along I seemed to forget about them - probably Dr. Spock and the Sunday supplements were as much as I could cope with in those days. I don’t know why I didn’t think to go back to them when I found more time to read again.

9. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Ray Bradbury is superb. I have always loved his short stories, even though normally I am not a huge reader of sci fi. I also love the ones about small town America in the post war years. Those are not usually sci fi and are more autobiographical, I assume.
    Actually, I don't read many short stories either...

sadscientist likes this.
  10. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

By the pricking of my thumbs...

11. maggie m

maggie m Senior commenter

Did anyone read a series of scifi books aimed at young teens by Hugh Walters? They had titles like Mission to Mars, Spaceship to Saturn. They featured 3 astronuats one American, one Russian and one British. I loved them , it lead me on to Asimov and other great story tellers.

12. sadscientist

sadscientist Established commenter

and Dandelion Wine.

racroesus likes this.