1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rats in school

Discussion in 'Personal' started by mrsfabmoretti, May 19, 2011.

1. There have been rats running around our department's corridor all week and, in particular, my classroom. They have interrupted about five lessons, one ran by my feet today and many different pupils have walked in to the school to find one scuttling about. We are expected to keep teaching in our rooms. The pest control people are going in tonight but I am petrified of seeing more tomorrow as got a full day teaching in my classroom. Surely this isn't right for us to be in there? Anyone had similar experiences? It seems to have been treated as a joke at work.

2. There have been rats running around our department's corridor all week and, in particular, my classroom. They have interrupted about five lessons, one ran by my feet today and many different pupils have walked in to the school to find one scuttling about. We are expected to keep teaching in our rooms. The pest control people are going in tonight but I am petrified of seeing more tomorrow as got a full day teaching in my classroom. Surely this isn't right for us to be in there? Anyone had similar experiences? It seems to have been treated as a joke at work.

3. A rat was spotted in a classroom in my old scholl- the school was closed for the day whilst the exterminators came in and dealt with it. Rats in a school is a major health hazzard- especially if food is cooked on site.

4. hazeymazey

hazeymazey New commenter

Shouldn't the school be closed while it's dealt with?
    One of our local schools....http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/2008/12/02/st-andrew-s-benn-primary-school-closed-by-rat-infestation-92746-22383687/

5. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Leak it to the local press. If some kid gets Weil's disease the school head, governors, and LEA will be liable big time.

6. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

..plus allowing rats to be in close proximity to certain kids could result in accusations of animal cruelty.

7. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

Oh my goodness, this is just awful. I'm terrified of rats, I'm not a hysterical person and I can cope with snakes and spiders but I really do have an absolute terror of rats and mice. That's really dangerous - rats are so heavily inflicted with diseases harmful to students, I can't believe they haven't sorted this!

8. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Don't be so daft, woman.
    It is an OfSTED inspection taking place.

9. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

I think that's the first laugh I have had all week!

10. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

If the kids in our place got wind of rats in the school the Head wouldn't have to make a decision to close the place. Our stroppy little devils would walk out anyway!

11. If I remember rightly, your school is built over a "pond", BS.( Me and Bill Jolly swimming in it circa 1976 after a lunch session at the Railway Doodah..post O levels ) I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't have rats. :¬))

12. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

You're right Bauble. My classroom is on stilts just over it.
    It gets very noisy in duck mating season. Then you have the pleasure of watching the school cat steal the baby ducklings when they hatch [​IMG]

13. Ahhh...happy days.

14. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

If a rat got into one of my classes it would instantly double the average IQ in the room, me included.

15. HAHA!
    Seriously though, I was so annoyed at SLT for making us go in and still teach with the things running around. Surely it is a health and safety issue. We had to tell the children there was a little field mouse running about. Pfft! Rat catcher has been in twice, so they'd better be gone by next week. *Shudder*

16. lrw22

lrw22 Occasional commenter

My mum used to work in environmental health and apparently rats are quite a common problem in schools. I worked in a school that was absolutely infested with mice, that freaked me out never mind rats!