1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ratios

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by tim00, Dec 5, 2019.

1. tim00

tim00 New commenter

Hi,

Just some quick advice or reassurance!

My situation is that our F2 has 42 children. In the morning I am the only teacher. I am supported by 3 level 2 TAs and a HLTA (who is always being pulled for cover as you would expect).

The TAs take small groups out of the classroom throughout the morning but I am still the only teacher. I have raised this concern with SLT and I'm basically being told to be great-full for the staff I have (which I am)

My concern is that infant class sizes 1:30? does it work that I'm not directly responsible for them all at the same time or do I need to ask more questions.

Thanks in advance

2. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

This is only in the morning? Is there another teacher in the afternoon? Originally, I was saying to ask questions but the more I read it, the more it sounds OK. To have 42 children all on the mat at the same time is a lot. But if they're all separate that's not a problem. I questions myself as I type each sentence.

3. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

This is not ok. Statutory guidance says
    https://assets.publishing.service.g...file/596629/EYFS_STATUTORY_FRAMEWORK_2017.pdf (pp. 25-6)

4. littlejackhorner

littlejackhorner Occasional commenter

My understanding is that nursery classes should be one teacher for 26 pupils plus one TA. That gives a ratio of 1:13. I always thought that when numbers increased you should have another teacher. I will see if I can find anything but others who are still in the classroom may have more up to date information.

5. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

It isn't right, no, but sadly becoming more common. Is it an academy? There are about half a million children in classes of more than 36, I think, can't recall where I read that. There are exception to the 30 rule such as SEND, children new to the area or appeals, but I can't imagine that would account for 12 of your children?

If your head was to say to you, would you prefer two classes of 21 each but no TA, what would you say? Are your 3 TAS good? Can you work the timetable so they are not always out?

You can keep it continually on the agenda with meeting the head, perhaps asking for additional PPA if yours is the biggest class, ask you LA for support if it's still in LA control, or speak to your union. But it may not change anything.

Very few teachers seem to have ideal circumstances. If things aren't likely to change, you might want to look elsewhere.

6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

42 children registered as one class, does sound far too many.
    However, if your 3 TAs are well qualified and your HLTA is there the majority of the time, you do have a great adult - child ratio.

If all three TAs take out a very small group of four and the HLTA is called away for cover, then you would still be ok with a class of thirty all to yourself. (Not a position I'd like to be in, but is apparently acceptable.)

Why is this only in the morning? If there is a second teacher in the afternoon, as an addition, then perhaps do adult led work then and have CP in the mornings with all staff in the classroom.

7. littlejackhorner

littlejackhorner Occasional commenter

Sorry . I've realised I misread the age you are with but agree with others that because of infant class size regulations there should still be another teacher.
    I understand the comments made by @caterpillartobutterfly about favourable ratios, however your present situation means that you alone are responsible for the planning, records, assessments, parents meetings and reports for 42 children which is absolutely ridiculous. If your HT thinks that this is acceptable then I would start looking for another post. There are plenty of schools out there that staff EYFS classes appropriately.

8. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I agree completely.