1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ratios

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by scarfandhat, Mar 30, 2019.

1. scarfandhat

scarfandhat New commenter

Can anyone help with ratios please?!
    We will have

4 - 2 year old
    11 - 3-4 Year old
    15 - Reception aged children

From what I understand it is 1:4 for the 2 year olds, 1:8 for the 3-4 and 1:30 for the reception children.
    Does that mean 3 members of staff would cover the ratio?
    Thank-you!

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I think it is 1:8 for the 2 year olds and 1:13 for the 3-4 year olds, if the person is level 6 qualified.
    Certainly I can have 13 in my 3-4 year old class.

It could be that your 4 year olds from the 3-4 group, could count with reception, so if there were enough of them, you could have 2 members of staff.
    I would want 3 though...sounds like a very tricky group to manage!

Stiltskin likes this.
  3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

4. scarfandhat

scarfandhat New commenter

@caterpillartobutterfly thank you! I know I posted a while back, still trying to get my head around everything! Thank you for replying

5. Toomuchtooyoung

Toomuchtooyoung Occasional commenter

EYFS p24.
    I’m not sure what you’re struggling to get your head around
    You need a level 3 for the 2 year olds. Ratio 1:4.
    3-4 year old not in reception year ratio is either 1:8 or 1:13 depending on the highest qualification L3 or L6, I assume L6 qts ie your reception teacher.
    Reception age 1:30
    You will need 3 members of staff for the numbers you mention
    Your 4 yo will only count in the higher reception ratio if they are turning 5 that academic year, they have to be reception age.

Stiltskin likes this.
  6. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Agreed with toomychtooyoung.
    You need 3. 2 is not enough as your two year old needs 1 person just for them, regardless of qualification.
    Assuming this is a unit and your reception teachers has QTS, then your 3 year olds can be 13 to 1. If there is no L6 then they need 8 to 1 and you would need a 4th person.

Stiltskin likes this.
  7. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

Link to the EYFS statutory framework document

Level 6 (degree level) qualification needs to be relevant, so can also include EYPS and EYTS as well as QTS