1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ratios of staff to children

Discussion in 'School trips' started by bananaquirky, Jun 15, 2011.

1. does anyone out there know the ratios for upper ks2? am taking 43 kids on a 2 night residential and need to know how many staff i need to take! help!

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Birmingham LEA recommend
    Years 1 to 3 1 adult to between 6 to 10 kids
    Years 4 to 6. 1 adult to between 10 and 15 kids
    Years 7 to 11 1 adult to 15 kids
    VI Form 1 adult to 20

However these are bare minimums and there are provisos such as the ability and ableness of the kids.

Mixed groups should have at least 1 male and 1 female adult.

The teacher ration should be at least 1 to 30 (other adults can be non teachers)
    50% at least of all adults should be LEA employees (the rest can be vlunteers)
    Plus your risk assessment should highlight any risks. ome risks can be minimised by increasing the number of adults to supervise the kids.

For residentials you need to have extra staff to cover for fatigue. If an adult has been up all night with a sick child then that adult cannot be expected to work without rest the following day and so another adult would be needed.

On our yr8 residential I work on a ratio of 1 to 10

3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I have the Birmingham guidance as a pdf. If you would like a copy then pm me with an email address.

4. Good advice from Birmingham- plus, for Yr 8, one extra for every 30 kids and make sure that at least 2 members of staff can really speak the local lingo.