1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ratio Y5

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by McCahey, Apr 18, 2012.

1. McCahey

McCahey New commenter

I would like to introduce the concept of ratio in a fun way. Thinking of making jelly in different ratios. Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. McCahey

McCahey New commenter

I would like to introduce the concept of ratio in a fun way. Thinking of making jelly in different ratios. Any suggestions?

Thanks

3. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Isn't that going to take time to set?
    You could mix paint colours - red and white to make shades of pink. Or use squash and see which ratios taste the same/similar.

4. McCahey

McCahey New commenter

Thanks, I like the squash idea. I have tried paint before, but it always ends up a splodgy mess!!!

5. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

Watch out with squash for any dietary restrictions - I know some people have to avoid some types due to the sweeteners used.

6. Dependent on healthy schools, allergies etc. using smarties is a good way of looking at ratio (different colours to others in the tube etc) and also linking it to handling data, tally the number of each colour, pie chart, bar chart etc.

7. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

got to say, i liked the jelly plan!

8. opal fruits are a nut traces-free, artificial colourings-free halal alternative tio smarties - tho you don't have as many different colours!