1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ratio at dinner time

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by DAWSONS_STUFF, May 27, 2011.

1. Can anyone please clarify the ratio for dinner time supervision of 3 and 4 year olds
    Does a level 3 person need to be present? Does a teacher need to stay with them?
    Hope some one can help with this - As the EYFS guidance is not clear...
    THANKS IN ADVANCE

2. It's the same as the rest of their time at the school/nursery/playgroup i.e. 1:8 . On page 32 of the guidance it states 'during breaks, or at times when teachers are undertaking preparation,...........the ratios must be adjusted accordingly'. Which means you need to maintain the legal ratio.

3. Sorry, that reads a bit abrupt! Plus you asked about the teacher needing to still be there. There should be a level three present and in charge but only half the total staff have to be qualified and these can be level 2.

4. Thumperrabbit

Thumperrabbit New commenter

I don't work at a school, however my youngest has gone through Reception during the EYFS stage.
    At our school lunch time is with the whole school, for their break time they are kept separate until after October half term. Our school also doesn't have a separate KS1/KS2 playground.
    Can I ask why don't ratios have to be upheld during lunch time?
    Or do they??

5. katycustard

katycustard Occasional commenter

For 3 & 4 year old the ratio, except at lunchtime is 1:13 in nursery schools and classes, I don't know about playgroups/daycare. At lunchtime in nursery classes and schools the ratio is 1:8 and a teacher doesn't have to be present if one of your lunch staff is level 3 trained. I have 3 dinner ladies, 1 is level 3, 1 is level 2 and 1 doesn't have any qualifications but loads of experience. I could run with 1 level 3 and 2 unqualified at lunchtime.
    Before I employed someone with a level 3, a member of the teaching staff had to be present in the lunchclub room and staff used to cover this on a rota basis.

6. So
    Have i got this right ...
    The ratio has to be 1:8 and there must be at least 1 level 3 on duty ?
    E.g i work in a school with 90 3 and 4 yr olds so 12 staff, one of which needs to be level 3.
    Is that right?.... as 12 staff seems to be a lot
    i thought it was 1:13 ?? with at least 1 being a level 3??
    SORRY IF I AM BEING THICK!!!...

7. katycustard

katycustard Occasional commenter

We're talking about cover at lunch time being 1:8, the rest of the time it's 1:13.

8. So what is the ratio for reception children? I know it is 1:30 during 'lesson' time but we only have 4 lunch time staff to cover the whole school of around 200 children!!