1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rates of progress

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by sherfield73, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Hi,
    I have recently taken on the role of SENCO at my school, I am new to this position and finding my feet. I have a meeting in a few weeks about tracking the rates of progress with our SEN children and wondered if anyone could help me? Explain how they do it at their setting? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance

2. purplepixie

purplepixie New commenter

Google the Progression Guidance Document. Wade through all the data and graphs and there is invaluable information within!

3. Thanks ever so much. I saw that on another post this morning and have downloaded it. Will go through it tomo? Would you say that 1 p scale progress in a year is about right for children with SEN? Thanks once again.

4. Due to the wide range of SEN in schools, it is impossible to say a certain amount of levels is correct for children SEN. In our school, we stick to the desired progress rates of non SEN children but are very aware that this is not always possible.
    I think the danger is that the child is tagged with SEN and then poor progress can be excused. This is obviously not the case for children with complex SEN.
    Last year, the provision we put in place managed to accelerate the progress of the vast majority of children with SEN and consequently (and obviously) our overall attainment rocketed.

5. What sort of provision were you putting in place to achieve this?

6. purplepixie

purplepixie New commenter

The guidance is, I believe, 2 P scales per key stage.

7. Thanks thats helpful, can I ask what sort of provision did you put in place to get that progress rate? Thanks in advance