1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rates of pay - Supply Teaching and Cover supervisors

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Cals, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Just been looking at the site of a well known agency to compare pay and both CSs and Supply Teachers are advertised at £80 - £100 a day, and some of both at £1000 - £120! How is this?
    Cx

2. Just been looking at the site of a well known agency to compare pay and both CSs and Supply Teachers are advertised at £80 - £100 a day, and some of both at £1000 - £120! How is this?
    Cx

3. Oops! £100 and not £1000!! (I wish!)

4. Can't believe what I'm reading here. This is nothing short of blackmail. If Michael Gove doesn't step in soon supply teaching will be finished, and so will the prospects of a teaching career for the many new and recently qualified teachers who are already competing for too few posts.
    All I can say is, later on, when schools need long term cover, they can go whistle.
    Planetx, I think you'd be doing people a favour by posting what your agency said on the 'prospective student teachers' forum.

5. Gove won't care! If anything, it is what he wants - he has already said that he wants to break up national pay agreements (hence the academies initiative which is about nothing more than that) - so this would be music to his ears.

6. I posted something about cover supervisors on there once, as I thought they should know, and was given short shrift!
    Perhaps they'll take more notice now
    Cx

7. You did your duty Cals! You can only warn people. There's no way I would start teacher training in the current climate. In fact I wish the writing had been so clearly on the wall a few years ago when I qualified. I would never have wasted my time (hence my user name).

8. Pennyforyourthoughts

Pennyforyourthoughts Occasional commenter

What are the schools paying the agencies...... I wonder. Worth getting some inside information on it.

9. In terms of what the agencies charge school, I once saw a summary of accounts in a school which suggested that the school had paid my agency £4,500 over a year just in commission because my wages were paid via the county payroll, at the time.

10. Totally unacceptable, immoral and disgraceful.
    A cover supervisor is NOT QUALIFIED TO TEACH BUT TO "supervise".
    The role of cover supervisor is a perverse one introduced by the previous Government. Disgraceful and unacceptable...and as for the agency, its call centre staff need re-education on this matter urgently!
    The present Government will hopefully be abolishing the dubious role.

11. ...from a very worried QUALIFIED supply teacher - what were those words of Mandy RD?

12. My understanding is that they intend extending it.

13. ..Can't be right.
    I have also heard through the grapevine that supply teachers are going to be paid in line with full-time permanent teachers - i.e. get holiday pay, but not coming in until Sep 2011. Is this true - anyone??? Would be nice [​IMG] If CSs are on contract, do they automatically get hol pay?

14. madenglishgirl

madenglishgirl New commenter

Nope!

15. 'Well, she would say that, wouldn't she'
    Cx

16. http://jobs.trovit.co.uk/jobs/hays-education-cover-supervisor/3

17. fnc

fnc

this possibly sounds terrrible but as an OTT I am paid on the instructors scale despite having 13 years teaching experience (and the equivalent of QTS) in my own country and higher qualifications that many teachers here (those qualifications are accepted by NARIC) too. Also the scale of pay here is way below too. With the conversion rate I have not been paid so little on a daily scale since my first year of teaching fourteen and a half years ago. Sometimes it makes you wonder about how society feels about teachers - I baby sitter gets paid more per hour than a 5 year trained teacher does.

18. This country has a long history of undervaluing and underpaying teachers. It was not until the Houghton Report of the early seventies that teachers were paid a near-decent wage. Recruitment to teaching was so poor in the late sixties that the suggestion was even put forward that anyone who had received a government grant for higher education should be forced to teach for a two years: a sort of educational National Service. In 1970, for instance, 15/16 year olds were getting unskilled jobs, directly out of school, and within a few years they woudl be earning more than their teachers. When I started teaching in 1974, in my first year I was earning £1360 p.a gross, only slightly more than I did on my last 'summer job' at University, three years before £22 p.w. (and this was at a time when inflation was running at 15-20%.
    It is only in recent years that teaching has become a reasonably paying job, especially after you have, say, ten years experience.

19. Thinking about it; from 1970 to 73, I was in receipt of an SRC grant of £1000, for my PGCE year I had a grant of £1100. So, when I started teaching, I took a salary drop!