1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rates for covid-19 online lessons

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by microbiology, Mar 30, 2020.

1. ruivascoma

ruivascoma New commenter

I have the same questions.

2. zetafunction

zetafunction New commenter

With all due respect, I think, it is all of our duty to highlight practices that undercut the earning potential of us all, in offering 'the same services' for lower price, we all agree that regional constrains won't apply in post/corona-pandemic situations, the audience with online tuition is global, and we all should and must strive at the very least to charge the right amount commensurate with our expertise and not to sell ourselves short and undercut our professional colleagues, I am sure you and all of us for that matter were incensed when the giant online retailer bookstore started to undercut all our local book shops, and I am afraid, offering tuition rates which is far below, sometimes, of minimum wage or living wage, no matter how acute the situation will indeed be harmful to the future earning potential of us all and most importantly lowers the value of teachers and education in the eyes of many.

Kateray1 likes this.
  3. BG54

BG54 Occasional commenter

Those of us working as full-time tutors (or trying to!) are at the mercy of traditional market forces of supply and demand. Since the exams were cancelled on March 18th there appears to be a substantial excess of supply over demand. In those circumstances customers tend to look for value for money - this is currently exacerbated by the fact that potential customers may themselves be financially disadvantaged by covid-19 and are looking more closely at the rates being charged or indeed whether to pursue tuition at all. Certainly, since I lost fifteen of my twenty students after the exam cancellations, enquiries have been non-existent - despite being registered with a number of agencies and making myself available for online work.

Personally I haven't yet reduced my charges but if the current downturn in demand persists when the schools eventually re-open I may have to think again, many of us need the income from tuition to help pay the bills and the government's support scheme is unlikely to be a long-term measure.

Kateray1 likes this.
  4. Kateray1

Kateray1 Occasional commenter

I asked my student platform about prices for online, they recommended leaving your prices for all types the same.
    As it was I have not gone online with mine can’t afford a new laptop.
    I do see the problem of supply and demand and also of wanting to hold your professional value. I think you have to judge it for your own situation.
    I’m mid price in my local market and have no intention of changing my prices for anything except maybe inflation in a few years time.

Happyregardless likes this.