1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rates for covid-19 online lessons

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by microbiology, Mar 30, 2020.

1. microbiology

microbiology New commenter

Hi

Just wondering if you are still charging the same for your lessons- these are the ones who would have had face-to-face but now forced to do online tuition due to Covid-19

Thanks

2. phatsals

phatsals Established commenter

3. microbiology

Have they asked for a changed in charge? How do you explain it to them as there will be no fuel charges?

Do you ask for fees upfront?

4. phatsals

phatsals Established commenter

I don't travel, they come to me. I have now got more tutees due to the schools being closed.

My prep time is the same, what I offer is the same it's just delivered online using skype and bitpaper. They pay me upfront but only a few weeks at a time, that suits me better.

5. bramblesarah

bramblesarah Occasional commenter

Demand and supply. I haven't dropped the rates for my current students. However I am currently running a deal with brothers/sisters get lessons in the same week for half-price. Part of the reason I charge my rate is because there are only limited hours I can work (3:15-8) with schools closed I can teach additional lessons during the day. Under normal times I can fill all my spaces at my usual rate. Currently I can expand my spaces so I would rather teach additional hours for a reduced rate.

6. shakes1616

shakes1616 Established commenter

I don't know how you get students. I've been on tutor sites for ages but never had any students. Yet some tutors are fully booked. I was teaching English for a company online and made 500 to 950 a month but have stopped. What subjects do you teach if you're fully booked? And how do students find you?

7. microbiology

Are you continuing with your year 11 and year 13 students? I have stopped lessons with them since there are no exams

8. louisee9

louisee9 New commenter

Take your lead from the parents - only cancel lessons if they ask, only change your rate if they ask. As someone else said: "supply and demand".

Happyregardless and Lespaul101 like this.
  9. Boardingmaster

Boardingmaster New commenter

I have halved my rate for one student I tutor locally (though obviously now online) whose parents’ finances I know have taken a hit. At this point I feel invested in him and would feel bad dropping him after so long. I have kept my other online rates the same. I guess the fact they come through an agency and I don’t have any direct dealings with the parents makes me less sensitive to whether they are struggling, but they seem to still be paying so hopefully things aren’t too bad.

10. microbiology

I have known most of the yr 11 and 13 students and I know they wouldn't have carried on. Why would they now that exams have been cancelled?

11. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

I've halved my rate.

12. bramblesarah

bramblesarah Occasional commenter

Some of my year 11s have carried on because they want the opportunity to sit the exams at the beginning of next academic year. Two of them go to a fee paying school which is encouraging all its students to keep revising. The idea being any (assigned) grades they aren't happy with they can sit. Obviously a lot of these students are grade 7/8/9 potential so they won't be happy with assigned grades (unless they are 9s). Another one who is carrying on has a medical condition and was likely to have to resit anyway (I warned mum before all of this) currently working at a grade 2 so she will benefit from the extra time to revise. The other one I am not sure why they have continued but they said they had already put the money aside and wanted their son to have the same opportunity. He will probably be assigned a grade 4 (maybe lower as he got a U in his mock) so maybe they want the option of him getting a 5?

13. Ian1983

Ian1983 Occasional commenter

Exactly the same.

All my students bar Year 11's and Year 13's have continued having lessons, so if they're all happy to keep paying the same rate, there's no reason to reduce it

14. microbiology

I teach A level Biology and all my students go to grammar and private schools. Not sure if anyone would have continued but it's worth asking. I cancelled all year 11 and year 13 tuition from 21st of March

15. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

I charge the same because normally they come to me so it's no different really
    Online is not for everyone
    I teach a lot of adults and a few have said they'd rather wait and carry on later as they're only learning for holidays and no one is going anywhere

16. zetafunction

zetafunction New commenter

It is a great shame that a professional teacher value their time as such to offer the same services for half the price!!!!!!! no wonder no one values our services as teachers or our profession for that matter, education is very important, do you expect the same low cost service if you visit a solicitor nowadays or are they still hold on to their professionalism and their pride and more importantly to their values? Pretty much doubt it. Shame that one hour of your life suddenly lost half of its value, the only person who denigrated it to that level is yourself.

17. BG54

BG54 Occasional commenter

It's none of your business what anyone else charges for their services so I'd get off that high horse.

pipryan and DustinFox like this.
  18. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

We are only worth what people are willing (and able) to pay us. Those who don't understand this are in for a shock when the post corona virus economic collapse happens.

19. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

To be fair the OP was asking for advice about rates for online tuition in the present situation. @zetafunction is entitled to give their opinion.

20. BG54

BG54 Occasional commenter

I should have said it was none of the poster's business why some tutors charge lower fees. I felt the criticism offered was very high-handed and failed to take account of the regional differences in the tuition market. Each tutor has to price their lessons according to what they judge the local market can stand.

Kateray1 and Happyregardless like this.