1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ratemyteacher

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by onewelshlad, Jun 22, 2009.

1. I used to use this site when i was still in school but i signed up as a moderator and used to monitor all of the comments made about each teacher and decide whether or not to approve the comment. This stopped all of the nasty comments from being submitted as i was the only moderator.

2. Self evaluation used in conjunction with some targeted evaluation from the students and colleagues is the most valuable tool that a teacher can use to improve their craft. Ratemyteacher is a weak attempt, made by somebody who has a chip on his shoulder, to give students a voice so that they can take down teachers who for some reason they take a dislike to. I think the word dislike is a very appropriate word. Students are not often objective when they rate their teachers. Understand that they are generally immature and emotive. My suggestion is that teachers create fictitious postings on as many pages as they can. Invalidating the site may be the best way of getting it closed down.

3. I agree that those triple one ratings don't mean much and are essentially throwaways. Feedback from students can be solicited in other more meaningful ways than using the website in question. When done so in a professional more direct manner that fits with the school's quality management systems it can lead to more positive results, spawning valuable professional development.
    I would like to see the site shut down. It would be OK if a teacher were able to have his/her name removed but the person who administers this site hides behind freedom of speech laws to keep it open. I suggest that the site be invalidated by encouraging as many false listings as is humanly possible. I feel very strongly about this. The site is just far too open to abuse by students.

4. I suggest, to any teacher who would like to be removed from the site, that they invalidate their school page by adding lots of fake listings. Students will soon lose interest and eventually the misdirected individuals who run the site will give up on it.

5. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

In a bizarre and ironic twist, the government have legitimised the Rate My Teacher website by adopting a similar policy for anonymous parents/ students/ bampots to 'contribute their thoughts' to the DfE about particular schools- in some cases, having the potential to trigger an inspection.
    See? Wait long enough and somebody will turn your nightmares into reality and stick a hat on it called '_________ Voice: we want to hear YOUR opinions'
    You couldn't make it....oh, you know
    Read more from Tom here on his personal
    blog, or follow him on Twitter here.

6. A student recently posted that a I was a pedophile. I've tried to have the post removed. No luck.
    On the website it is noted that the site is dedicated to Brian Timothy Davis 1981-2003. Perhaps we should all create ficticious teachers named Brian Timothy Davis. Then we could mention that the site is dedicated to him and he might have been a pedophile before he passed away. Then when his name is googled, as is the case with me right now, the first thing to show up will be his connection to pedophilia. Obviously his legacy is important to someone just as is ours. Perhaps we need to play by their rules to make a point.

7. I thought this would be a brilliant idea when I first heard of the website years ago....Of course, we wouldn't be allowed to have such a site as it would violate the rights of the students.....

8. When I first heard of this site, I went online to read the comments made about me. They were clearly malicious and disheartening - students whinging about the 'mean' teacher who expects them to follow rules, do their work, take responsibility for their actions, etc.....I haven't been on it since then; if we said these sorts of things about our students, we'd be looking for new jobs in a heartbeat, yet this sort of bullying is allowed. Apparently, the 'rights' of free speech afforded the students supersede our rights as professionals.

9. The 'most able teachers,' I would guess, are the ones who have high standards for their students and the 'less able' ones are the ones who spend their time trying to be friends with their students & let them get away with things rather than actually teaching them?

10. There is something called libel: if students purposely publish information that is false, misleading or incorrect, especially with the intent to harm the person about whom they are writing (or his/her reputation), I believe they (or their parents) can be sued.
    Let's put this in perspective; if you had a child, and another child made comments about him or her on Facebook that were patently false, would you tell your child 'They're totally entitle to [say it], it's called FREE SPEECH' or that they should 'be less sensitive' and 'stop whinging, grow up'? I wouldn't think so; you'd be absolutely incensed and would probably DEMAND that the comments be removed from FB....

11. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

I know everyone is entitled to their opinion, but surely this is libellous? I am astounded that it can't be removed.

12. If only it was that easy......Too many schools today refuse to exclude students - playing some sort of numbers game - and they tend to lump the naughty ones together (even if some of them have the intellectual ability to function in a higher-level class). Then, when the misbehaviour begins, fingers point at the teacher rather than at the disruptive students....

13. [​IMG]

14. Tom_Bennett : In a bizarre and ironic twist, the government have legitimised the Rate My Teacher website by adopting a similar policy for anonymous parents/ students/ bampots to 'contribute their thoughts' to the DfE about particular schools- in some cases, having the potential to trigger an inspection.
    See? Wait long enough and somebody will turn your nightmares into reality and stick a hat on it called '_________ Voice: we want to hear YOUR opinions'
    You couldn't make it....oh, you know
    [​IMG]

15. A straw poll amongst colleagues reveals not one who cares a hoot about what is posted on ratemyteachers. Coincidentally, they don't bother to read it.
    I bet their students do, though

16. I agree with the above - posting negative comments about people is bullying - if this were done in a national newspaper, or for that matter on walls around the school there would be a clamour of bullying accustaions and all the heart ache it brings to an individual - but teachers just have to accept it!

Or if teachers did it about students... just imagine the uproar! Just another of the double-binds that teachers have to deal with: it's good enough for you, but NOT FOR THE LITTLE DARLINGS.
    Sends me into 'Incredible Hulk' mode.

17. I found a rating about me today. Type my name into google and there was a direct link to it. It was a blatant personal attack on me, nothing to do with my teaching, it commented on my looks, and lots of very hurtful lies such as 'she has large breasts and she flashes them around, controls the boys with them and flirts with them'
    they also said that 'she put her arm around me and pressed her breasts against me and I got an erection" and that 'I *** over her all the time and fantasise about raping her'
    I immediatly flagged it and it dissapeared and I sent a message to the site, I also went to my line manager who pretty much fobbed me off and said theres nothing they can do. I am disgusted by this abuse and am worried about what pupil wrote this and also who has read it...parents, children?
    People have written abusive things on facebook and been arrested and people who have made racist remarks on twitter to celebrities received a prison sentence...yet I can have this posted on the internet for all to see, this vile and very disturbing rant and I cannot do a thing about it:(

18. Stop flashing your breasts then!

19. I'm sure it's been said before, but shouldn't the website be called 'Rat(on)MyTeacher'?

20. thequillguy

thequillguy New commenter

Of course, for many teachers the comments are fairly positive. One or two are spot on, and could be written by teachers themselves. Some are vindictive. Fortunately, I think many students take you as they find you, and don't research where you worked before.