1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ratemyteacher

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by onewelshlad, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Is this a form of cyber bullying (I would say so). Is there anything that Unions can do to stop this kind of site spreading - surely it is unhelpful to us as a profession - is there a rate my dentist / supermarket cashier site?? I think more should be done about this site as it has personal details - name / work place on the internet. You would swear we are A List celebs LOL

2. If each teacher takes a turn at monitoring the site and putting on positive ratings each day for a week then the damaging ratings are greatly diluted. There is little quality control by the owners who are making a mint from advertisers.
    No one knows who is putting on ANY of the comments, just as no-one knows which TES posters are staff in schools or not!

3. Obviously ratemyteacher is cyberbullying of the worst kind, anonymous and spiteful. As teachers we would never dream of trying to comment on our pupils' behaviour, work ethos etc in such a manner. Regardless of all those who try to defend it, it is not usually honest hardworking, motivated pupils who take the time to grace this website. Unfortunately it also appears to be condoned by the wider population and could also be seen as an indication of how the profession at large is regarded. As onewelshlad states there do not seem to be any such sites for other professions/occupations e.g. ratemydoctor/lawyer etc.
    However it is my experience (and that of my colleagues) that the more publicity this website gets, either from teachers' complaints or from the unions, the more it is used by those with a grudge and inadequate social skills. It is hard but the best we can do is really to try to ignore it or do as the other poster has suggested if you can be bothered. There are specific types of comments that will be removed by the site administrators if you complain.

4. Perhaps if teachers were to protest to the advertisers who pay to keep this site going the effect on their funding might encourage thenm to review their protocols.
    Here are some current advertisers:-
    http://www.theschooltravelcompany.com/http://www.netsupportschool.com

5. I have left comments on ratemyteacher, and 99% of them were full of praise. If used fairly, it's not a bad thing at all....of course, there'll be bulllying and flse comments, but one can generally see and gets a feeling for which comments were posted by genuine people and which come from spiteful little EBD ASBO-chavs.

6. I think that if you do a good job you have nothing to worry about. At the end of the day who reads it? Maybe negative comments can be taken aboard and used to improve yourself. After all kids speak the truth and are not afraid to say it. That said there was a ratemylawyer.com site that was closed down within days with threats of legal action etc. I guess us teachers aren't as powerful!

7. How about a Rate My Pupil site? That might give teachers a bit of an edge especially when parents start complaining that it's unfair!

8. newyorkdoll

newyorkdoll New commenter

Have only just discovered the 'Rate My Teacher' website and am OUTRAGED!!! Seriously cannot believe this exists....and that such malicious comments are posted....one about a teacher at my school.

As if teachers aren't stressed enough???....with mental health probs half the time. This could tip someone over the edge if they were feeling overworked and down already.

It's an absolute disgrace....we all know how callous some children can be. The implications of this site are very dangerous indeed and I really don't think it should be underestimated.

9. I agree - whilst it may be very nice to be told that you are 'the best teacher in the world' etc., it is hardly necessary. If there were a rate my pupils on line perhaps we could enter all the detentions some pupils get, as well as the success they have, and then watch the complaints flood in as they reaslise that future employers could look at this.
    I have not given anyone permission to use my name on this web site and asked them to remove it. Unfortunatley to do that i have to log onto this website!!!!!
    I agree with the above - posting negative comments about people is bullying - if this were done in a national newspaper, or for that matter on walls around the school there would be a clamour of bullying accustaions and all the heart ache it brings to an individual - but teachers just have to accept it!

10. I have just found out about this website! I am outraged now!!! This is deffinetely the worse kind of cyberbullying I have ever seen!
    Most of the teachers at my school are on and the most able teachers have the worse ratings. Also the less able teachers have the best ratings!!!!
    I was then shocked to find out that I was on the site under my school! I am not very happy at all as a group of students have put personal details about me on a website (not entirely sure how they found out the information?!).
    I'm going to speak to the rest of the staff in my school about this and see if anything can be done.

11. I'm terribly sorry, but some people need to be less sensitive. Pupils writing thigs online is no different to them voicing their opinions out of class.
    a) They're totally entitiled to, it's called FREE SPEECH.
    b) You only really have a leg to stand on if you've never reffered to a pupil as a little b*stard or whatever.

Whilst I do agree that it could be potentially damaging to one's reputation if say a potential employer looked at the site, one should make the presumption that no decent head would take an internet chat forum as referencing material. If one of my pupils wrote negatively about me on there, I can honestly say that I would not care. Water off a duck's back. Stop whinging, grow up.

12. NX5

NX5

I assume that the 'OUTRAGED' postings are, in fact, tongue in cheek? If not, some of the folks here are a little 'precious' and are fortunate not to have experienced real bullying.
    A straw poll amongst colleagues reveals not one who cares a hoot about what is posted on ratemyteachers. Coincidentally, they don't bother to read it.

13. I find it interesting that we as a profession so hate feedback. I would prefer that all pupils are sensibly polled on the quality of my teaching and the possibility of comments. This could be available to the general public at large and make good teachers more employable and some that are useless unable to get jobs.

The problem is that by not allowing pupils to give genuine feedback we leave it to something completely unregulated.

That said, I don't see a particular problem with this site. There are laws on libel and harassment which would cover any factually incorrect statements. The case about a decade ago against Demon Internet demonstrated that ratemyteacher would be held responsible as the publisher of this information. Equally, most of the pupils writing libelous comments would be over the age of criminal responsibility and therefore would be able to be dealt with under the legal system.

Whilst I don't like the particular site, it is more because it is not an accurate reflection than anything else. When things like this happen in my classroom, I simply explain to pupils that they are over the age of criminal responsibility, what law they have broken, the fact that I can report them to the police and what the ultimate consequences can be. In the event they repeat this then I demand a written apology to prevent me from going to the police. In the few instances I have had to do this pupils have quickly backed down and retracted/rectified the situation.

14. I'm with Andyerased on this. It's free speech, and those who think expressing negative opinions once about someone is bullying need to revise the definition of what bullying is.
    I've rated my teachers (all positive comments about many people who inspired me and guided me) and have been rated. Most comments on the site are very positive - a tribute to our profession and the excellent work we do - and the negative ones are either fair enough or blatant, adolescent venting of frustration (and quite amusing for that).
    So chill out colleagues. If it bothers you that much then log off and get on with your marking or go to the pub.

15. Have to say I am much more in line with Andyerased, NX5, Anotherperson and Gellins than with earlier posts. Freedom of speech is being much abused within the UK at the moment by the government as much as anybody else. We do not live in a perfect world and sometimes unfair things will be said or thought... There is no way to regulate the way that people or students think of us and I for one am very pleased to know it and to have a window into what they are thinking! Surely we would not advocate a world where thought-police exist? Yet this is the natural extension of any limiting of our freedom of speech.
    Yes. Slanderous comments can be hurtful and even damaging to reputations, but as public figures, (no we may not be A-list celebrities, but we do choose a life in the public sector) we must be willing to accept critical review of ourselves, (God knows we are expected to so often enough anyway!) However 'people' need to realise that the freedom of these comments also means they need to be viewed with caution. When did we become a society incapable of independent, critical, review of information? I seem to remember a fair bit of my education revolving around assessing the validity of evidence / sources / experiments. I know that my current students are constantly challenging each other and myself to offer proof or explanation about things which are said, it is one of the things I love about teaching, this continual sharpening and re-sharpening of intellects, a two-way process.
    The question I think we should be addressing is how to tackle the increasingly poor image of the teaching profession. One sure fire way to <u>not</u> increase our image is to attempt to ban freedom of speech about it and us!
    One last question, if you have negative comments, have you read them? I mean really read them and listened? Perhaps there is a comment hidden away in there that is a true criticism?? Perhaps even one that could help you to reflect and change your teaching practice... To the benefit of yourself, your school and your students. I admit that many comments on this site may well be inflammatory rubbish, but this does not and should not invalidate them all.

16. My father is on this site, I was also his pupil twice at school and
    I must say that nearly ALL the comments are true. Trust me, I know this
    man well and I know I was pretty awful to teach. Of course there are a
    few vengful students, but without the vocabulary to voice their
    opinions it's funny to see them giving a triple 1 rating with a "I hate
    this guy." comment. It seems he has also invited pupils to leave
    comments, which I found hilarious and I can't wait to talk to him about
    it next time on Skype.
    I also have become a teacher, and recently
    I gave out a questionnaire to my worst class. I found I had the same
    type feedback. The majority good, I am thankful, but a few ***
    saying they couldn't understand anything. I found this feedback really
    good and I strive to improve my teaching every day. I don't see why we
    should wait for ratemyteacher to collect pupils opinions, why not try
    it in class yourself. When you get those triple 1 ratings with "I hate
    this class." comment, you can scrunch them up and them in the trash.

17. Mitzka

Mitzka New commenter

Weve got it over here in NZ too, but teachers here don't worry about it. Just don't access/read it. Personally, I'm actually gutted I'm not on there, would love to have honest feedback from the children. [​IMG]

18. Grow up, get over it, they can't bully you unless you care what they
    think. Why would you care what some horrible little oik said about you?
    do you value their opinion that much?
    I think that this should
    be encouraged, then there would be a more balanced view expressed on
    the site rather than one or two spiteful little 5hits. IIRC there are
    several catagories, including approchability, ability to explain, and I
    think that this would give excellent general feedback. Yes, it is
    public, but as teachers we are members of the community, in the same
    way if you see your doctor or dentist in public, drunk, making an ****
    of themselves you would think less of them. If the GTC can haul you
    before them if you are drunk on a friday night and a pupil just happens
    to see you, how is that any different to a worthless b-list celeb being
    pulled over the coals for the same thing?
    The problem is too
    many teachers forced to contend with problem students who selfishly
    disrupt the learning of others. Get rid of the problem students, the
    mouthy ones, and you will be left with the respectful ones who want to
    learn and who will do much better because of it. If a selfish student,
    knowing the consequences, causes themselves to be excluded then that is
    their problem.
    Grow up, act your age, and show a little bit of
    decorium, you are in a position of responsibility in society, accept
    it, respect it, and act as you should - or teachers will lose the last
    shred of respectability left over from a time when they were highly
    regarded. I would love to have some feedback on my teaching and know of
    teachers who actively seek it from their (A-level) students.
    I
    have just started teaching abroad and have absolutely no desire to
    teach in the UK again - make the exams harder, then the pupils will
    have no choice but to work damn hard to get the results they want, they
    won't have time for all this rubbish.

19. Hi all
    I have known about this site for some time and have never looked at my own comments, however I was amazed to be told by the advisory teacher for my area what comments I had received and those of my colleagues in the same department. I expressed this and she told me it is part of her job to monitor pupil feedback on teachers 'in case an issue arises'. I think we need to take this more seriously if the local LEA is viewing the site. If they are looking, surely the Headteachers are too!

20. I think my HT would be more embarassed about his comments than we would! His comments are really quite awful!