1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

rate of reaction lesson for year 9 class

Discussion in 'Science' started by poorsoul, Jun 8, 2011.

1. poorsoul

poorsoul New commenter

I have been asked to deliver a demo lesson for an interview ( rate of reaction for a year 9 higher ability class). I am bit confused because I think rate of reaction is year 10/11 stuff. will be grateful for any advice on the matter.

2. Roboteer

Roboteer New commenter

At this time of year many schools have started the GCSE syllabus with their year 9s, particularly top sets who may be taking the triple award.
    Ideas for rates of reaction demos are disappearing cross (if you can get a visualiser or projector it is easier for class to see what happens), combustion of magnesium ribbon vs magnesium filings, potassium permanganate crystals with glycerol (grind up to powder - it catches fire immediately, as crystals you have to heat a glass rod and stick it in the middle to start it).
    Nice topic to have for your lesson as plenty of ways you can approach it. Good luck!

3. Another good demo would look at the reaction of limestone chips with acid which you can do on top of a balance. The chemistry should then be familiar to them and you could look at the size of the chips, the effect of mixing and maybe get the technicians to warm some of the acid up for you in a water bath to look at the effect of temperature.

4. skeptucator

skeptucator Occasional commenter

Elephant toothpaste is by far the most visually impressive. Perhaps you won't have time to do a class prac or don't want the risks involved. My students love this demo, you can show them the Dr. Bunhead example at the end of the lesson where he does it as a practical joke in a toilet. Can talk about why does it not catalyse until toilet flushes etc.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezsur0L0L1c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcbB0p_iPXA

5. poorsoul

poorsoul New commenter

Thanks for great ideas. Will let you know how it went.

6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

This is how I stat rates with my yr 11s

They get 3 marble chips of approx the same size, 3 boiling tubes and a rack.

they put 10ml of 1M HCl in each tube.
    They keep 1 chip intact. They break the 2nd chip into small pieces using a pestle and mortar. They grind the third chip into powder. using scrap paper they tip the three 'chips' into the three tubes at the same time and observe. Which one fizzes fastest?
    The you can work with the chemical equation and talk about production of the products. Then I use wooden 1cm blocks and build cubes. 64 cubes make s a 4x4x4 big cube or 8 smaller 2x2x2 cubes or 64 1x1x1 cubes. calculate surface area and volume for each set of cubes.