1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rate my Teacher promoting Cyber Bullies?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by papakura, Nov 16, 2016.

1. papakura

papakura New commenter

Will the following have any impact on RateMyTeacher and can they be sued for leaving information on their site that has caused hours of wasted time and stress? I have just written to ratemyteacher but surely if enough of us who have been maligned stand up and keep writing to the authorities then pressure will mount on this portal that seems to encourage students to cyber bully. You might be one of the lucky one's but I am sure you will accept that there are many teachers being badly treated through this portal

16/11/2016

Dear Sir or Madam

Information rights concern

I am concerned that you have not handled my personal information properly.

You had a rating for me on your site that contained false, libelous and defaming information; claiming that I had been sacked and had stolen a phone. You have caused great troubles for me with parents at my present employer who are referring to this false information and making incorrect conclusions about my suitability as a teacher; because of the lies on your site that have been there for years. You were warned about this but despite taking down the comment - which I have reported to the police - you still keep the rating on your site and another that has quite obviously been put there maliciously within the last few weeks, despite the fact that I left the school some 21/2 years ago

I understand that before reporting my concern to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) I should give you the chance to deal with it.

If, when I receive your response, I would still like to report my concern to the ICO, I will give them a copy of it to consider.

You can find guidance on your obligations under information rights legislation on the ICO’s website (www.ico.org.uk) as well as information on their regulatory powers and the action they can take.

Please send a full response within 28 calendar days. If you cannot respond within that timescale, please tell me when you will be able to respond.

If there is anything you would like to discuss, please contact me on the following number **********

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I've never bothered to look at ratemyteacher.
    All kinds of things could be on there about me.

It's not a site where I'd expect to find anything accurate and I assume your current head has a similar view.

joLT, wanet and pepper5 like this.
  3. papakura

papakura New commenter

I never look but was forced to because of comments made by a parent regarding my "online presence" and referring to the portal. So what am I supposed to do??

pepper5 likes this.
  4. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

I find it strange that there are so many laws about libel/data protection and yet this is permitted. The police won't even name/show pictures of criminals in some cases. Those who make malicious allegations of rape can't be named. But I'm no lawyer.

pepper5 likes this.
  5. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

I think there's a difference between saying that you don't like someone and saying that someone is a thief or corrupt, for example.

pepper5 likes this.
  6. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

I thought Rate My Teacher was a bit 2005 myself and am surprised kids don't find 'Insta' or 'Snap' more appealing now.

Sites like RMT are not Ofsted nor are they 'qualified' to show judgements on a teacher, in an ideal world such sites would just disappear into cyberspace. If RMT has caused you that much hurt, hopefully they will remove the comments and compensate you. Sadly, probably wont happen without a legal fight!

pepper5 and DYNAMO67 like this.
  7. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

I've got about 20 fantastic reviews on rate my teacher - I wrote them all myself!

8. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

You did not write the comments on RMT but your students or a malicious colleague did. If the issue is raised by a parent reply firmly that the comments were mischievous if not derogatory and you intend to waste no time trying to correct the comments made. If your SLT get involved get your union on the case ASAP.

pepper5 likes this.
  9. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

1) Which sort of parents honestly give a (insert word of choice) about rate my teacher?
    2) Who even looks at it? I thought it was in the 'friends reunited' clan of early social media that had long disappeared
    3) You say the comment has been removed anyway?

Listen, I never agreed with the site, full stop. From a legal point of view I am surprised that any reputable business would host something that contained evidence that sailed so close to the wind. I honestly can't understand wasting a minute worrying about it. IF some pathetic parent wants to bring THIS up, then they really ought to look at their own lives. Something is missing.

10. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

You should treat this as research on your students and their background.

You now know that the said parent is some type of fool and takes the gibberish written by hormonally inbalanced teenagers as fact. Anything they have to say should be treated with a huge dose of scepticism before being consigned to the same gibberish pile their children have created.

Of course this doesn't apply for any favourable comments that have been posted on RMT. These are entirely accurate. ;)

11. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Sounds like you confiscated a phone and the student decided to take revenge. Laugh it off.

12. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Good luck with taking it down - there is still a negative comment about me on the site, from a school I left over 6 years ago (indeed I've been retired for more than 3 now), even though I emailed them afterwards telling them I was no longer a teacher at the school. The pupil who left it must be well into their University career (or even post Uni.) by now.

Mind you, when I realised that they weren't taking it down, I logged on as a number of other pupils and added some positive comments - even though I wasn't at the school, it made me feel better! :D

13. rayondesoleil1976

rayondesoleil1976 Occasional commenter

Mind you, when I realised that they weren't taking it down, I logged on as a number of other pupils and added some positive comments - even though I wasn't at the school, it made me feel better! :D[/QUOTE]

I like your style. Maybe we should all set ourselves up as pupils and write each other glowing reports.

I can't believe this website is still on the go. It's a horrible website that should not be allowed to exist. It came into being at the start of my teaching career. I remember checking it out and finding some horrible comments written about me. As a young, unconfident teacher, it wrecked whatever confidence I had. It's a shame that other adults take it seriously - as I did. Of course you learn, pupils will talk about you - I did when I was a pupil - it's just a shame it can be plastered all over a faceless, anonymous, irresponsible website.

emerald52 likes this.
  14. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Ages ago I reported comments on two colleagues which were pretty awful. (The comments, not the colleagues!!) The comments disappeared within 24 hours and never reappeared. I'm not sure if the staff ever saw the comments themselves.

15. PGat

PGat New commenter

When I was teaching I was told by another teacher I am/was on there but I was too scared to look. Sounds vile.

16. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Me too!

17. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I never thought of that

There's a really vicious one of my HOD on there - and I didn't write it.

The best one I've read was of another teacher at my previous school - I agreed with every word of it (and no I didn't write that ether)