1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

“rat hairs in paprika and maggots in orange juice”

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, Nov 5, 2019.

1. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Do you know what routine checks are made on UK producers and what levels of contamination guarantee prosecution?

2. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

hplovegame48 and slingshotsally like this.
  3. Kandahar

Kandahar Lead commenter

I thought this was a reference a nautical breakfast.

Yes, Mr Coryn is a half baked fruit cake, and no mistake.

nomad likes this.
  4. burajda

burajda Star commenter

No, but if you've got time and are that interested I'm sure you could find out if fewer or more rat hairs or insect parts and are allowed in UK products than American ones. I did work in a factory that made Branston Pickle many years ago in East London and I was surprised at the stories that some long term staff told me about what contaminants went in the product accidentally or deliberately. Hopefully it was just production line banter.

5. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

I suppose that would be a way of finding out if things would be better of worse.

6. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

all food contains insect fragments and mould. Just at controlled levels. Uk food is no different. No food is any different. Where do you think insect exoskeletons and mould spores go to? They surround us all the time, they are everywhere, including in food. How would they ll be removed? It would not be possible. But levels are controlled. So I don't see why this is being made an issue, or called something new.

nomad and florian gassmann like this.
  7. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...ir-worms-insects-mould-products-a8575721.html

8. nomad

nomad Star commenter

So, what are the facts?

The American Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has guidelines on 'maximum levels of natural or unavoidable defects in foods for human use that present no health hazard'.

It stresses that the levels are not designed to excuse 'poor manufacturing practices', but a recognition that some contamination is 'economically impractical'.

In spices, the agency says an 'average of one or more rodent hairs per 10 grams' is the threshold for declaring a batch defective.

The level for apple butter is four hairs per 11 grams.

In fruit juices, anything below five fly eggs or one maggot per 250ml is regarded as acceptable. The guidance notes that the issue would only be 'aesthetic' rather than a risk to health.

By comparison, the EU does not set any 'action levels' for foreign bodies in food. This does not necessarily mean that EU standards are higher - merely that the FDA spells out in detail what will prompt enforcement action whereas the EU legislation does not.

LondonCanary likes this.
  9. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Yes, I remember Max Boyce. He was quite big in the late seventies and even had his own TV show. I also had one of his books. Singer, poet, author and general all-round entertainer he was passionate about Wales and Rugby. Still going and still entertaining.

https://www.maxboyce.co.uk/