1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rasberry Pi Xmas present advice...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nixmith, Dec 16, 2015.

1. nixmith

nixmith Established commenter

Hi All,

My son (Yr 7 aged) has asked for some s'ware to make computer games for Xmas (not Scratch something more 'grown up') any suggestions?

I actually have been thinking about getting him a Rasberry Pi kit for awhile, was just waiting for him to get old enough and I'm sure the time is right, this Xmas. Can anyone advise me what to get? I understand there is a Rasberry Pi B (is that like version 2?). I want to get him more than just the basic credit card computer, what else do I need? (I have approx £50-70 budget).

I saw this on eBay, would it be fine (I have an old monitor and keyboard already):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Raspberry...10-/161919014423?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

I realise I'm asking this rather late, but I have already got a couple of books on Raspberry Pi for Xmas morning and he will be ok waiting till the New Year for the actual thing - we would rather do that, than get something useless or out-of-date.

Many thanks

Nixmith

2. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

I really really really really don't understand why a would be games programmer wouldn't be delighted to program on a PC! Masses of free software for it too!

3. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

The link you have given is for the older Raspberry Pi. The Latest full Raspberry Pi is the "2" with 1Gig Ram and four cores.
    Such as:
    http://cpc.farnell.com/raspberry-pi...t=SC13800&selectedCategoryId=&ICID=I-RpiLp-02

You will need a monitor with an HDMI socket which an older monitor is unlikely to have so you will need to check. Most of the stuff he will need (softwarewise) will be free but you might want to consider a few bits of hardware (LEDs and pushbuttons). To give you some ideas:

http://www.itpro.co.uk/mobile/21862/raspberry-pi-top-19-projects-to-try-yourself

Seven may be a little young for something such as a Raspberry but I had a relative who started off with my ZX81 at five and became a world class programmer working for Nokia.

Anyway food for thought. Best of luck.

4. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

He would need tutorials in Python but there are books for learning Python using Raspberry Pi. The Pi gets more into interfacing as well.

5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

The whole purpose of the Raspberry Pi is to get the kids off the PC so they don't b*gger it all up once they learn a bit about programming. A bit like giving them a battered old mini to practice car maintenance on instead of the family Volvo. It's not called a sandbox computer for nothing.

As others have said, be mindful that the Raspberry Pi is just the processor - you need extra bits to make it work as a computer.

6. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Hmmm.... you can get decent laptops for under 100 quid. I don't buy this raspberry pi nonsense.

7. Ladykaza

Ladykaza Senior commenter

I've sought advice from Viscount K who knows about such things and is applying for jobs in the games industry who suggests:

http://www.yoyogames.com/studio

He says the raspberry thing ( you can see my level oif expertise here) is hardware rather than software and you'd be better off with this especially as this technology is so fast moving.

8. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I think it is more to do with electronics: the Pi acts as a processor to run something like a weather station or Christmas lights when suitably connected and powered.