1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rasberry Pi anyone !

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by kindling_not_vessels, May 7, 2011.

1. Just come across a fantastic new innovation to get a machine in front of every kid in school, in every classroom that wants it. Google Rasberry Pi or click here and see what you think.
    If it lives up to the hype I'll get some cheap monitors and put sets in a load of classrooms across the school.
    One possible snag, does anyone know if these specs will run flash web apps?
    700MHz ARM11
    128MB of SDRAM
    OpenGL ES 2.0
    1080p30 H.264 high-profile decode
    Composite and HDMI video output
    USB 2.0
    SD/MMC/SDIO memory card slot
    General-purpose I/O
    Open software (Ubuntu, Iceweasel, KOffice, Python)

2. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

3. I've only tinkered with modern ARMs (though wrote lots in the days of the Archimedes :) ) but maybe this is just a prototype ; wouldn't be too difficult to uprate it, maybe ?
    I'm not sure about a choice of only Composite or HDMI, would've thought VGA and/or Scart would be more useful.
    The other thing I haven't figured out is how the networking works. You could plug in (presumably) a wireless USB key but wouldn't you need a USB hub for this as there appears to be only one ?
    I have heard of keyboards with ports but they aren't commonplace.

4. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

SCART would be bigger than the actual device. As I understand it VGA chips are huge (comparatively) and give off loads of heat. I suspect this is a reason for going HDMI/Composite only.

...Although licencing may be another factor to consider.

5. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

MACs nearly all have them.

6. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

It's gonna sink like a stone, novelty factor is there but will wear off once the students realise that it can't do the stuff they want from a PC then they will walk away. Yes there is a market for computing students, but why would you use a tool that is underspecced compared to all the pcs available in school. I don't see the market globally for it in developing countries as you need the display, keyboard and mice too and if you can afford those then you can spring for a refurbed pc that can at least run flash.

7. I work in a small independent. Money for ICT is far more tight than in state schools. I can get a refurb monitor, yeboard and VGA to HDMI converter for £50, so the whole machine would cost around £70.

There will be a job to do managing expectations, but the relevant comparison is not with a Windows PC but with no PC at all. There are loads of classrooms around the school where the only machine is the teachers laptop. Half a dozen machines at the back of the room for extension work on the VLE or what ever would be far better than nothing at all.

We have an ICT suite that is bookable for non ICT teaching and all it ever seems to get used for is word processing. These machines would be fine for that and a lot less hassle than booking ahead and decamping to a different room.