1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rarely Cover

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by bigman99, Nov 5, 2015.

1. bigman99

bigman99 New commenter

Does rarely cover still exist and apply to schools who are under the STCPD?

Our head seemed to suggest the other day that it had been abolished a couple of years ago and we could now be asked to do quite a lot of cover.

The head also seemed to suggest that PPA time has been abolished. i wasnt aware of any of this, I am assuming that the head is incorrect? We are an LA school , not an academy.

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Yes both still apply if you are on STPCD in an LA school. Don't heads ever read STPCD?

Para 54.5 for PPA and 54.7 for rarely cover (both on page 54) of STPCD 2015

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes. ;)

Yes ;) ;)

(My bold in both quotes)

HERE

Cover

54.7. Teachers should be required to provide cover in accordance with paragraph 52.7 only rarely, and only in circumstances that are not foreseeable (this does not apply to teachers who are employed wholly or mainly for the purpose of providing such cover).

Guaranteed planning and preparation time

54.5. All teachers who participate in the teaching of pupils are entitled to reasonable periods of Planning, Preparation and Assessment (PPA) time as part of the 1265 hours referred to in paragraph 53.5 or pro rata equivalent (as the case may be) to enable the discharge of the professional responsibilities of teaching and assessment. PPA time must be provided in units of not less than half an hour during the school’s timetabled teaching week and must amount to not less than 10% of the teacher’s timetabled teaching time. A teacher must not be required to carry out any other duties during the teacher’s PPA time.

(I went off to get my cereal before posting the quotes and @Rott Weiler beat me to this. )

Best wishes

4. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

I'm a union rep and at a course just over a year ago there was some discussion that the DfE was trying to re-write the STPCD to a virtually blank page => local negotiation. Fortunately this didn't happen but perhaps your Head heard the discussion and nothing else.

Rarely Cover only applies if the Head feels he can get away with making teachers cover so make sure your Union Rep is on the case over this.

Jack Cazorla
    Author of 'How to be a Cover Supervisor'

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

"Rarely Cover only applies if the Head feels he can get away with making teachers cover so make sure your Union Rep is on the case over this."

Yup.

Mind, some heads are so inexperienced these days that I wouldn't be surprised if some of them use 'What I think I might have heard in the staffroom once' rather than actually reading up on the regs.

6. bigman99

bigman99 New commenter

thanks for all the replies, backs up what i thought!

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

(The missing thumbs-up emoticon)