1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rare that I ask but I need some styling advice...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon3372, Jul 4, 2011.

1. What would you suggest to wear for the following (taking the hot weather into account but also the chance that it might rain)...
    Corporate meeting all day, followed straight after by a social affair (bbq with...gulp...waitresses) at the home of European CEO (which is bad enough), but also including all the biggest of big wigs from the US (who I am dreading meeting)?
    LBD is not exactly practical... and whatever I wear has to be comfy enough to spend a whole day of meeting in.
    I guess it is going to be smart trousers and a top...but that seems so unsummery.
    If it were Winter, it would be much easier...*sigh*

2. bnm

bnm

A summer dress with smart but comfy shoes and a jacket.

3. I only have maxi dresses - not sure if suitable. I also know how the other women dress - ecky thump, I cannae compete!

4. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

I'd suggest something that 'softly tailored', perhaps with a jacket that you can remove for the evening.
    It's all in the shoes though. A brightly-coloured pair of shoes can dress up a fairly plain outfit for an evening party. Then add a chunky bangle and a beaded necklace to make the outfit more dressy for the evening.
    Something like this could work:
    http://www.next.co.uk/g368s2

5. bnm

bnm

Trousers it is then!

6. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Would you wear this kind of thing/look?
    [​IMG]

7. No, that is not me at all unfortunately, kibosh!
    I am more of a suit person with high heels, but I don't have a Summer suit and at the moment I am skint as just paid the holiday flights!
    What a faff, honestly.
    I have some beige Marlene trousers - if they still fit [​IMG]
    And I have two Summer blazers, (one is bright red linen but thanfully doesn't crease, the other is beige with pale blue stripes) but no trousers to go with them.
    arrrrrrrrrrgh [​IMG]

8. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Well why didn't you bluddy say that before woman ?? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ? On the right track yet?

9. Oh yes - but I want to avoid white, as I am prone to being filthy before I leave my home!
    If I wore the red blazer (tis cut just like that white one) and a white top, what colour trousers should I wear (thinking of my shoes now...hmmm, I have some nice beigh high heeled mules, lots of black - but what the hell, I could go to buying a new pair of shoes!). Or what colour (apart from white and blackL) goes with red, then I could wear matching top and trews.
    (honestly, I didn't even faff on this much about my wedding day).

10. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

[​IMG]
    I think this is a nice jacket.
    If i had the looks and skin colouring I might go for something like this;
    [​IMG]

11. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

My photos have gone - blast . . . . . .wait, I'll find more

12. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

White trousers and red shoes?

13. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

14. I am worried about wearing white trousers all day and then to an evening do - I know what I am like. I will look a mess by the end of the day!
    Although I do think white looks best with red.

15. Yes, those shoes are very me!

16. CQ, how about wearing a formal skirt or trouser suit and teaming it with a fashionable flowery print blouse or something? You could take your jacket off if it's warm and still looked dressed for work. Afterwards you could add a bit of fancy jewelry/bling for the even do, so you look more casual...?

17. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Red trousers with red jacket and white under-top with white or red sandals then?
    [​IMG]
    Maybe a bit chunky?

18. I like what Eva linked to - that is my style.
    I just don't want to be a mucky mess by the end of the day. Meeting is from early morning till 6 pm, then evening do till 11 pm.

19. No, red trousers are not me and those shoes are too chunky for my tiddly feet.
    I am difficult, aren't I?
    Where is buuuuuuuuuunty???

20. Defo trouser suit (but mine are all dark) or trousers with a blazer. I was thinking more top rather than blouse as I don't like wearing a blouse under a blazer.
    I also need to hide my belly - forgot to mention that bit, hahahahahahahhahaha!