1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rapid Prototyper vs large CNC Router

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by tecteach, Jun 1, 2011.

1. I am investigating the benefits of a Rapid Prototyper vs a large CNC router and would invite peoples thoughts. I currently have a Rapid Prototyper but find it slow to produce pupils work ie leaving it running overnight. However, as we are lucky enough to have a new school built I am told I can 'exchange' equipment as long as it is to the same value as we are not allowed to take any over, Therefore I thought about getting a CNC router so I can machine work instead of using a laser to cut out plywood as it doesnt always cut through and leaves a charred edge. This would mean sacrificing the Rapid Prototyper but based on how slow it is to build products this may not be a bad thing. Oh yes, I teach Product Design KS3 & 4.

2. Thanks for your thoughts, we only have a small model makers lathe that does a decent job. We are selling all the kit in May 2012 according to our bursar.
    There is a legacy policy by all accounts whereby you can take some kit across as long as it is refurbished and has a three year warranty. To be honest, I am looking forward to trying out some new kit as some has not lived up to expectations shall we say !