1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

RAOK -Random Acts of Kindness

Discussion in 'Personal' started by PennyAM, May 10, 2012.

1. Has anyone ever carried out a RAOK day at their school? It's our Diamond Jubilee this summer, and we have been open as a school for 60 years! Amazing!

I think a day of Random Acts of Kindness would be a fun way to celebrate some of our school's special qualities. Have any of you super people ever had, or done random acts of kindness for other people? Please share them here!
    I once paid for a couple of ladies to have coffee in Starbucks as a surprise. The look on their faces was priceless and the barista didn't let on either...hee,hee,hee!

2. Has anyone ever carried out a RAOK day at their school? It's our Diamond Jubilee this summer, and we have been open as a school for 60 years! Amazing!

I think a day of Random Acts of Kindness would be a fun way to celebrate some of our school's special qualities. Have any of you super people ever had, or done random acts of kindness for other people? Please share them here!
    I once paid for a couple of ladies to have coffee in Starbucks as a surprise. The look on their faces was priceless and the barista didn't let on either...hee,hee,hee!

3. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Whilst I love the idea of RAOKs, I don't see how a day of it can possibly work - everybody will surely be expecting something, introducing a risk of disappointment, and planning ahead removes much of the randomness of it

4. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

The two that I can think of recently involve old people and plastic bags.
    An old lady with a zimmer frame had stopped to pick up a dog poo. I could see that she was going to struggle to bend down so I offered to pick it up for her. She was impressed by my skills in scraping up squishy poo. I have had lots of practice [​IMG]
    An old man in the supermarket couldn't open the plastic bag to put his fruit in so I gave him a hand. A small thing but it is so frustrating. You could take your students to a supermarket and get them to hand ready opened bags to shoppers!

5. Good point - but there are ways and means of RAOKS happening through subtle organisation....any personal experience of them would be appreciated :)

6. You got me a bit worried there!
    Both of them were nice examples of RAOKs - thanks for your input :)

7. PennyAM, either we work at the same school or by coincidence our school also celebrates 60 years this year! As for random acts of kindness - perhaps you could get a core group of organisers together and ask them to plan it all in secret, ensuring each class (rather than each student) gets something?

8. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I hope this wasnt't the same plastic bag that you had put the dog mess into.

9. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

Ooh-Arr... when I were a lad, many year ago, in cubs and scouts it were called doing a good deed every day. Nowadays it'd probly get you arrested, on account of not bein' somethin' they can tax you for...

10. Have you seen Pay it forward? Perhaps you could do that on a smaller scale?

11. I find this a daily inspiration:
    http://www.thewhiterabbit.org.uk/projects/366daysofkindness/

12. modelmaker

modelmaker Lead commenter

I guess it would engender the notion that you shouldn't be afraid to offer help if you see someone you think could do with it.
    I've done my bit in the past such as helping a frail lady lug her baggege up the stairs in Tottenham Court Road station. It wasn't such a hardship as it was suffering the impatience of the crowd behind me before I offered to assist her.
    I could have done with a bit of help myself yesterday as my beloved and I struggled with our shopping from the supermarket to the bus stop. The grammar school had chucked the kids out at exactly the right time we needed them. Did they offer to help? No, they just blocked our path as they texted, fiddled with their hair and did everything kids do that winds you up.
    I am at a complete loss to understand why the producers of Grumpy Old Men never discovered me. The series is dull compared with what I can contribute.

13. 576

576 Established commenter

I've given parking tickets with lots of time still on them to people entering car parks as I leave them (and have also been the beneficiary of the same)
    I have given a few coins to the person in front of me in the supermarket queue who seemed to be struggling to get the amount!
    My friend watched a woman putting baby essentials back on the shelf in the supermarket because she couldn't afford them. After her shopping went through the till he paid for it all including the stuff she couldn't afford. I imagine her face was priceless. He told her that God had blessed her!
    3 complete strangers came and changed my tyre for me when I got a flat on my way home from work. Luckily it was right by a car park where some work men were working and they came and did it all for me.
    Where I live there is a charity called ARK (Acts of Random Kindness) I think it's an easier acronym than RAOK!
    The problem is that acts of random kindness usually respond to a percieved need and therefore by nature many of them are also spontaneous.

14. I agree 567, about the spontinaity of random acts of kindness....and the clue is in the name.
    * rant *
    People should help each other and I wish that this was the way of the world. I do think that children should be brought up to be conscious of their duty to treat each other with kindness and respect but am of the belief that many children are brought up to grab what they want with the means that they have at their disposal. For the likes of David Cameron this is carving out a wedge of cash and power for himself with no regard for others (aside from his close family members and bosom buds from Oxford) and for the smaller fry like the vet I saw for my cat the other day this means taking deliberate advantage of a vulnerable woman (me) in the midst of panic for my cat for 6k regardless of the impact on me or my cat. It is the 'regardless' part that worries me. What people are willing to do to get what they want. There are crazy people masquerading as civilised human beings...there are angels too....just fewer of them :/

15. Thanks for the input - hope your cat is okay. I agree that there are some vile people around - but the kids in our school are 98% fantastic and we just want to make them feel special. I love the examples and ideas given here - thank you, and may your acts of kindness continue :) xx