1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rant - sorry

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by the night owl, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Hi, this will be a rant as I cannont find listeners elsewhere. Sorry!. Having moved (been in post 12 months ) from teaching mainstream RS to Mainstream SEN I am seriously frustrated. Having taught SEN groups for RS for 6 years I accepted a role as FL Coordinator in a mainstream school. It has been a nightmare. The students all year 12 are lovely, BUT I am in the position of having to get them L2 qualifications because they have 'GCSE's' that clearly they shouldn't. I have a student with a G grade GCSE who can read less well than my 6 year old, who has not got anywhere near passing L1 functional English. I know the pressure is onin year 11, and I like almost all secondary teachers have 'enhanced' CW to ensure a pass criteria was met .I am now seriously repentant of my previous crimes.After suffering the task of having to get 6th formers qualifications they are not capable of. My kids need life and social skills not L2 BTECS created by staff. And SLT demanding why there is an issue.
    If I am a lone voice in the wilderness, put me out of my misery. If not please anknowledge my plea that there are others out there just to make me feel better.

Regards The Night Owl X

2. Hi, this will be a rant as I cannont find listeners elsewhere. Sorry!. Having moved (been in post 12 months ) from teaching mainstream RS to Mainstream SEN I am seriously frustrated. Having taught SEN groups for RS for 6 years I accepted a role as FL Coordinator in a mainstream school. It has been a nightmare. The students all year 12 are lovely, BUT I am in the position of having to get them L2 qualifications because they have 'GCSE's' that clearly they shouldn't. I have a student with a G grade GCSE who can read less well than my 6 year old, who has not got anywhere near passing L1 functional English. I know the pressure is onin year 11, and I like almost all secondary teachers have 'enhanced' CW to ensure a pass criteria was met .I am now seriously repentant of my previous crimes.After suffering the task of having to get 6th formers qualifications they are not capable of. My kids need life and social skills not L2 BTECS created by staff. And SLT demanding why there is an issue.
    If I am a lone voice in the wilderness, put me out of my misery. If not please anknowledge my plea that there are others out there just to make me feel better.

Regards The Night Owl X

3. Ouch. The impact of pressures of teachers needing to get the grades. Have you thought about doing ALAN?