1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rant/ placement worry...thing.

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Jennie1990, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Ok so this topic might sound really trivial but does anyone else think it is completely unfair that there is no consideration of students' travelling circumstances taken into account on their placements?
    My placement this year involves 2 buses (an hour in total) and a 15 minute walk carrying 4 big files, by the time I arrive at school I know I will be exhausted and not looking very professional. Last year, 3 of us at uni didn't have a car and I was the only one who managed to pass the year, despite a 20 minute walk up a huge hill and a further 2 buses. I KNOW I could have done so much better had I not had to do this though. It took up so much time and i lost over a stone due to the stress and physical exhaustion- my bmi by the end of placement was something ridiculous like 15! I spoke to the uni about it after I finished and asked to be placed somewhere nearer, or at least near a shop to get resources (had so many ideas but no way of getting any resources for them to materialise!) Students with cars, with less distance, were constantly moaning about how tired they were and what hard work it was and i just felt like giving them a good slap!
    Has anyone else had any similar experiences? I know it is partially down to my own teaching and organisation but I don't see how anyone is expected to get an 'Outstanding' set of lessons in observations (which is expected in the 3rd, final year) when they are physically as WELL as mentally exhausted and have no way of just 'popping to the shop' on the way back to pick things up :/.
    Do you think I should go ahead with the placement (it is on Monday!)? Teaching is my ambition and I am 100% dedicated to this but I am worried about my health and quailty of lessons.
    Rant/doubting over. I'd love to hear some responses!

2. Ok so this topic might sound really trivial but does anyone else think it is completely unfair that there is no consideration of students' travelling circumstances taken into account on their placements?
    My placement this year involves 2 buses (an hour in total) and a 15 minute walk carrying 4 big files, by the time I arrive at school I know I will be exhausted and not looking very professional. Last year, 3 of us at uni didn't have a car and I was the only one who managed to pass the year, despite a 20 minute walk up a huge hill and a further 2 buses. I KNOW I could have done so much better had I not had to do this though. It took up so much time and i lost over a stone due to the stress and physical exhaustion- my bmi by the end of placement was something ridiculous like 15! I spoke to the uni about it after I finished and asked to be placed somewhere nearer, or at least near a shop to get resources (had so many ideas but no way of getting any resources for them to materialise!) Students with cars, with less distance, were constantly moaning about how tired they were and what hard work it was and i just felt like giving them a good slap!
    Has anyone else had any similar experiences? I know it is partially down to my own teaching and organisation but I don't see how anyone is expected to get an 'Outstanding' set of lessons in observations (which is expected in the 3rd, final year) when they are physically as WELL as mentally exhausted and have no way of just 'popping to the shop' on the way back to pick things up :/.
    Do you think I should go ahead with the placement (it is on Monday!)? Teaching is my ambition and I am 100% dedicated to this but I am worried about my health and quailty of lessons.
    Rant/doubting over. I'd love to hear some responses!

3. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

I hate to say it, but it's a bit late now. If this is your final year, you're really a hostage to completing it.
    Perhaps during the 1st week you could ask around/ask your school mentor whether they drive past the bus stop and ask/beg for a lift. That way that last (and most awkward, by the sounds of it) part would be much easier.
    I'd also wonder how much of those four files you really need with you - Possibly create a day-to-day folder for stuff that's going to be useful/stuff you collect and put it into your main folders at the end of the day or week.

4. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

This is contradictory: either you're 100% committed, or you're considering not going to your placement.
    Our trainees come from an hour and a half away. They can catch a train (station is just down the road) or drive (hideous journey partly on rural roads) The university doesn't have an endless pool of schools in the immediately local area and so trainees have to expect to travel to placement. I agree it's not ideal but I don't believe that universities have a great deal of choice. There are obviously some people who might get preferential placements, but if you don't have a young family, then I don't think there is much that you can do.
    Why do you need to carry them all? Organisation is the key. If you have long bus journeys, make sure that you use the time to do some work. Don't cart around things that you don't need. Pack wisely - one of my trainees had a trolley suitcase thing. It looked a bit daft, but it worked for him.
    How would a school placement office know this?? If you have great ideas and need to buy resources (which I don't advocate in any case - you should be able to get what you need from school), then you could shop online or at the weekend.
    Personally, I think you should be grateful to have a placement. There are plenty of trainees out there who spend time stressing over not having a school to go to. I fully expect a phone call on Monday asking me to place another trainee who has lost a placement, and would hope that despite our fairly remote and tricky location, a trainee would understand that the uni and the school are doing their best.
    Good luck on Monday.

5. Thank you Captain! Due to the place of the school in relation to uni I doubt any teachers will be driving by but I will ask (maybe once I get to know them a bit!) That would be the ultimate solution!
    The file situation is ridiculous. I'm doing Primary Studies (BA Hons) under SEWCTET - the Welsh teavher training agency who have made it clear that ALL files must be in the school at ALL times - including a file/box/bag with all resources used so far.
    It is madness, they clearly suppose everyone will be driving.

6. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

Unless they're going to suddenly appear without warning to check, how will they ever know? If they have to be in school at all times, leave them there... then you only have to transport the day to day stuff.

7. Thank you sleepyhead! I appreciate all your answers. I am very grateful to have the placement in the 1st place don't get me wrong! I just find it ridiculous that there are schools on easy bus routes which students with cars have been placed in and are nearer!
    I'm definitely getting a trolly, I never mind looking daft :) (foundation phase haha).
    I am dedicated but dedicated in the sense that I don't just want to 'get it over and done with' but actually ensure the learners have a teacher who is actually 'with it' and not a mess and delivering so-so lessons.
    Unfortunately many schools do not have all the resources. From experience of last year, I was brought up on using too many of the same resources and they wanted something 'new' and exciting' for the children - the teacher even suggested a few things I could go and buy and I had to sheepishly say this would be a bit of a problem.
    But yes, I suppose leaving the resource file/box in school could be done and I'll try and stick the others in a trolley. Anyone have any idea where to get a trolly from!?

8. xsarah21x

xsarah21x New commenter

Trolleys are from amazon they are great! I know how you fell but you have to and stick with it and get through it. All my placements on pgce were in awkward places and my last placement was a nightmare in every way but it's over now. I'm qualified nqt with a job I love. Worth it now!!!

9. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

Placements are made for a variety of reasons - they might be easier to get to but might not meet your placement needs.
    http://www.lakeland.co.uk/22358/The-Funky-Trundle
    I like this one though:
    http://www.lakeland.co.uk/23322/Rolser-Luna-Shopping-Trolley
    Blimey! I've suggested things to trainees in an off the cuff way, but to actually suggest that they go out and buy them... not a chance. I buy stuff for my classroom, but I'm quite a long way off being a trainee and only taking advantage of myself. Maybe in primary this is more the done thing, but I'm amazed!