1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rant about internal applicants

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by thesmallfabric, May 23, 2011.

1. I have just returned from a job interview.
    It took me about 6 hours to write my letter and application form.
    About six hours planning the lesson (even though the letter with the taught lesson did not arrive until Friday afternoon and the interview was 8.15am on Monday.
    They have stolen a day of my life I won't get back.
    And all for nothing.
    The internal candidate was given a room they normally teach in.
    Kids they normally teach.
    And the last lesson so they didn't have to rush off.
    They didn't even bother pretending by coming on the school tour with us.
    I have no problem with schools appointing inernally without going through the charade of an interview.
    Only Ryan Giggs has had a worse day than me today.

2. I have just returned from a job interview.
    It took me about 6 hours to write my letter and application form.
    About six hours planning the lesson (even though the letter with the taught lesson did not arrive until Friday afternoon and the interview was 8.15am on Monday.
    They have stolen a day of my life I won't get back.
    And all for nothing.
    The internal candidate was given a room they normally teach in.
    Kids they normally teach.
    And the last lesson so they didn't have to rush off.
    They didn't even bother pretending by coming on the school tour with us.
    I have no problem with schools appointing inernally without going through the charade of an interview.
    Only Ryan Giggs has had a worse day than me today.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

But do remember, your bad day was because you didn't get the post, not because someone else did.

Do you know that it was the internal candidate who got the post?
    The school advertised externally and took the time to shortlist. This means they wanted the best candidate and were not convinced the person they had was that person. You had just as much chance as anyone else today.

There is a thread on the jobseekers bit where I responded with a bit of a rant about how unfair it is being the internal candidate. You might want to nip over and have a look.

4. If they're going to interview internal candidates however, they've got to make it fair!
    Giving an internal candidate a class they normally teach is NOT fair. How on earth are externals supposed to compete when there is a candidate teaching a class they've built relationships with over the course of the year (presumably), and know inside and out!
    I recently went to an interview where the internal didn't even have to teach. I couldn't believe it! Needless to say, she got the job.
    I've been to interviews where internals have got the job, and interviews where they've haven't. I truly think that if they go to the bother of advertising, and setting up interviews, then they have an open mind. It is soul destroying though, when they don't take the necessary steps to ensure it's a fair process.
    Keep going.. and next time, don't spend 6 hours writing your application.. I know that's easier said than done, but .. life's too short!

5. I think what annoyed me the most was that I was emailed on Tuesday to say I had an interview but the letter with the lesson spec did not arrive until Friday morning which meant I got it at 4pm. I cvontacted the school on Wednesday to say the letter hadn't arrived and politely asked if they could email the lesson reuiqrements over. The said 'if you haven't heard by Friday contact us. As a result I spent a lot of time and money using my own printer and ink instead of at the school where I am on placement. I doubt the internal candidate had to wait that long to sort out her lesson.

6. And my bad day wasn't because I didn't get the job. I accept that.It was that I wasted a lot of time which woud have been better used elsehwere. The good news is that I arrived home to find I had been short-listed for another post.