1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rant about airports....

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lamaddalena, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Went to drop off boy and girlfriend at the airport to find they are now charging to drop off and red lines along all the approach roads. Was only there long enough for them to get their bags out the boot charged £1 and £4 if you were waiting upto 20 mins to collect. Over 20 minutes and you need a mortgage. (Bristol btw)
    Last week I dropped a friend off at Heathrow and didn't have to pay.
    ....and while I'm on the subject I'm fed up with planes taking off or is it landing all through the night.I'm a light sleeper and about 5 mins from the airport. I thought they weren't meant to fly between 11 and 7 ? Or only a very limited number. And then long haul flights only.
    grumble, grumble, grumble

2. Went to drop off boy and girlfriend at the airport to find they are now charging to drop off and red lines along all the approach roads. Was only there long enough for them to get their bags out the boot charged £1 and £4 if you were waiting upto 20 mins to collect. Over 20 minutes and you need a mortgage. (Bristol btw)
    Last week I dropped a friend off at Heathrow and didn't have to pay.
    ....and while I'm on the subject I'm fed up with planes taking off or is it landing all through the night.I'm a light sleeper and about 5 mins from the airport. I thought they weren't meant to fly between 11 and 7 ? Or only a very limited number. And then long haul flights only.
    grumble, grumble, grumble

3. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

Airports are such fun we holidayed in the UK.

4. They are going to a wedding. lucky b&ggers

5. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I believe it's 12 and 6 for take-offs, I'm sure that's it at Gatwick, we're on the flight path, about 10 mins flying time away!

6. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Gatwick is 24/7
    [​IMG]

7. I have a friend near Heathrow and they don't fly at night ?

8. BelleDuJour

Heathrow is not 24/7 but Gatwick is. No idea why!

9. reddevil

reddevil New commenter

You should try being on the London City airport flight path, bl***y corporate helicopters at all hrs [​IMG]

10. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Not strictly true. (Wikipaedia)

Night flights are subject to restrictions.<sup id="cite_ref-142" class="reference">[134] Between 11 pm and 7 am the noisiest aircraft (rated QC/8 and QC/16) may not operate. In addition, between 11.30 pm and 6 am (the night quota period) there are three limits:

• An overall limit on the number of flights;
    • A Quota Count system
      which limits the total of noise permitted, but allows operators to
      choose to operate fewer noisy aircraft or a greater number of quieter
      planes;<sup id="cite_ref-143" class="reference">[135]
    • QC/4 aircraft may not operate at night.

11. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Not strictly true. (Wikipaedia)

Night flights are subject to restrictions.<sup id="cite_ref-142" class="reference">[134] Between 11 pm and 7 am the noisiest aircraft (rated QC/8 and QC/16) may not operate. In addition, between 11.30 pm and 6 am (the night quota period) there are three limits:

• An overall limit on the number of flights;
    • A Quota Count system
      which limits the total of noise permitted, but allows operators to
      choose to operate fewer noisy aircraft or a greater number of quieter
      planes;<sup id="cite_ref-143" class="reference">[135]
    • QC/4 aircraft may not operate at night.

12. BelleDuJour

Bloody hell Lapin!
    It is stil true.....albeit smaller planes at night.

13. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Heathrow restrictions which appear to be the same.

Night-time flights at Heathrow are subject to restrictions. Between 23:00 and 07:00, the noisiest aircraft (rated QC/8
    and QC/16) cannot be scheduled for operation. In addition, during the
    night quota period (23:30&ndash;06:00) there are three limits:

• A limit on the number of flights allowed;
    • A quota count system
      which limits the total amount of noise permitted, but allows operators
      to choose to operate fewer noisy aircraft or a greater number of quieter
      planes;<sup id="cite_ref-Ref_p_20-0" class="reference">[21]
    • A voluntary ban on QC/4 aircraft.

14. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Heathrow restrictions which appear to be the same.

Night-time flights at Heathrow are subject to restrictions. Between 23:00 and 07:00, the noisiest aircraft (rated QC/8
    and QC/16) cannot be scheduled for operation. In addition, during the
    night quota period (23:30?06:00) there are three limits:

• A limit on the number of flights allowed;
    • A quota count system
      which limits the total amount of noise permitted, but allows operators
      to choose to operate fewer noisy aircraft or a greater number of quieter
      planes;<sup id="cite_ref-Ref_p_20-0" class="reference">[21]
    • A voluntary ban on QC/4 aircraft.

15. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

My posts are repeating on themselves!!

16. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

My posts are repeating on themselves!!

17. Our local airport (it's a proper one, not some shonky aerodrome) allows you 20 minutes to get into the car park, unload and leave. I have never ever needed to take any longer than that to get my cases out and say goodbye, so it's always free.

18. colpee

colpee Lead commenter

Bristol Airport is a particularly bad customer experience. They have removed almost all lounge seating in favour of naff expensive shops, charge £2 for a luggage trolley and queue people in corrdors for ages. It actually makes irritants at other airports seem almost attractive.

19. My local airport has free luggage trollies and plenty of seats. How many shops are needed? After you have booked in and gone throgh passport control we have a duty free, a newsagent and a restaurant. That's enough surely?

20. My parents got caught out at Bristol last year when picking me up - ended up paying a fortune! What made it worse was the machine to get out and pay wouldn't accept my parents card (or they were inserting it wrong) so everyone was getting more and more irrate. Funnily enough they have said if I choose to fly from there again they will not be as willing to pick me up and that I should choose the local airport if I want lifts!
    That said, I hated Heathrow Airport just for the confusion inside. What happened to the days of people and not machines? Having always flown from small airports I was totally overwhelmed by what to do and stood in a daze before having to hunt down a member of staff to explain the check in process to me.